Good Word ››
Today's Good Word
Good Word Archive
Good Word Dictionary
Dr. GW's Office ››
Grammar and Style
Fun & Games ››
Fun & Games
Send this Page to a Friend!
Share this page
French False Friends
Here is a challenging game that is a lot of fun. If you are learning French, it will also help you distinguish "false friends", those confusing French words that look like English words but mean something entirely different.
Each of the following sentences contains one of those words that look exactly an English word. The sentence itself is a hint as to which word it is. So, here is all you have to do:
Find the word in each sentence that is also a French word;
Write the English translation in the box to the right.
Press the question mark;
Find out if you identified the correct word.
Click here for the German version.
Click here for the Spanish version.
Find the French Word
Right or Wrong?
Where did Pierre find a coin while strolling along the streets of Paris?
NOW TRY SOME YOURSELF
1. What is such a pain for Pierre to find when he travels in China?
2. Who does Marcelle chat with when he has no visitors?
3. What was Lance writing when he found a piece of paper under the chair?
4. Where did Ferdinand put the corsage he bought Lucille at the florist's?
5. What was wrong with the court yard behind Francine's house?
6. What did Cramer do to his shirt when he was ironing it?
7. What did Seymour put a dent in the plastic cup with?
8. What does Reggie have four of in his bakery?
9. One of Dede's habits is to take what to the laundry every Wednesday?
10. What was so bad that it kept the temps from showing up at work?
11. Which part of the crane hit the limb above her nest when she flew away?
12. Where does Johnnie think it pays to live in France?
13. What did Melanie use instead of a crayon to write her name on the picture?
14. What did Claude put his icecream in after he played his cornet?
15. Which part of Gretchen's body was the main object of her concern?
JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!?!
16. What was the big-eyed cow doing by the manger?
17. What color rouge does Evelyn prefer with her new dress?
18. How many bags of money did the police seize from the robbers?
19. What did Nelson's son make that gave away his hidaway?
20. What made the use of a vent unnecessary in Melvin's beach house?
, and other networking sites.
Other Resources You Might Enjoy
For more Word Fun, check out our Word Games Page
created just for you!
Dr. Goodword's Essay on Rhyming Compounds
The alphaDictionary Glossary of Rhyming Compounds (by category)
The alphaDictionary Rebel-Yankee Test
has been enjoyed by more than 3 million people. See what all the excitement is about.
Dr. Goodword's Glossary of Quaint Southernisms
If you enjoyed the Rebel-Yankee test, you will probably enjoy these linguistic differences between North and South.
Dr. Goodword's Mini Linguistic Course.
Learn the basics of language from a professor of linguistics in an hour.
Dictionaries, Glossaries, and Word Lists.
Lists of words that are problems to spell, pronounce, and remember—all by a widely published and respected specialist.
Discuss accents and dialects with others.
Now you can talk with others who have taken our test about your accent and theirs. You might want to talk about other topics, too, at our Alpha Agora.
While you are here, check out our daily "
So What's the Good Word
We select an interesting word and tell you all about it - how to say it, what it means, where it comes from, and how to use it.
You can have it delivered to your email inbox daily, for free!
Miss Spelling's Center
Dr. Goodword's Office
Today's Good Word
All Rights Reserved.