Soldier

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:04 pm

Huny, sweetie, this was a truly irresponsible post. :wink: You do realize that somewhere out there a spambot has perked up its little digital ears, eyes, (or whatever they scan with) and is--even now--targeting the alphaAgora with ads for luxury leather goods, nail wraps, and teach-yourself-martial arts videos...

-gailr
Wha? Somebody hold my earnings?
Say, wasn't this in a different thread? I'm lost.
No, it was several posts up but got deleted. My little saying about the earings is girly talk for, "Somebody hold me back!" I think that was the ghetto commimg out in me from back in the day. :oops: But, thanks to gailr, I am under control now. :wink:
-maybe not entirely; I did caught you on the spelling of earrings, no? too sublte?
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:19 pm

Ohmygosh!! I'm slipping in my young age. :oops: :oops: Sometimes i'm a little slow on the uptake-- but I get it now.
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:47 am

ah.... Portugal?
ah a bit before our time?

mark
or do we go back to the original invaders to all lands, remember no one is truly indigenous.
I'd say the second inhabitant is the first invader (not counting unsuccessful ones). Anyway, 'before our time' is relative; for some, Granada may be before their time.

/hairsplitting mode off/
So, how long are we to hold a grudge? Do the Brits look askance at the Saxon descendants? Do the Scandanavians still deserve castigation for their forebear's shenanigans?

I don't think the US could have prevented an invasion of Portugal on Brazil, Granada notwithstanding, wouldn't the US have had to be in existance for this?

[hairsplitting on] an invasion is an invasion, Do we remind the American Indian that he came into a land that was not his own, btw are you sure that the evolutionary groups of men did not destroy the ones prescendant? In other words did the Cro magnon not war with and anniliate the Neanderthal? Where do you draw that line in the sand as to where to point that accusing finger? Do we seek out descendants of each and restore to them their original lands? Or better yet mentally wring our hands concerning these inequities in message groups?[/hairsplitting mode off] :lol:

mark
really not attacking you just that this issue is recurring and if someone splits hairs they might as well split the baloney.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:45 pm

Amen, Bailey. Well said.
However, I do believe I am truly indigenous.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:05 pm

lol. me too!

mark

kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:46 pm

. . . if someone splits hairs they might as well split the baloney.
Now THAT's a nice turn of phrase, even if it may be a mixed metaphor!

There was an editorial cartoon long ago during the days of the first Russian Wheat Deal. The caption was "No matter how you slice it ... ." The picture showed a hand with a knife slicing a loaf of bread, but all the slices falling off were circular, like baloney.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:03 pm

I figured that most people knew the expression,"no matter how thin you slice it; it's still baloney."

mark

kb

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:07 pm

-maybe not entirely; I did caught you on the spelling of earrings, no? too sublte?
Careful about correcting someone else's spelling!

mark

kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:07 pm

Careful about correcting someone else's spelling!

mark
See what I mean by sublte? So many levels. :wink:
Many of this are intentional. The trick is to spot which is witch...

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:38 pm

ah a bit before our time?

mark
or do we go back to the original invaders to all lands, remember no one is truly indigenous.
I'd say the second inhabitant is the first invader (not counting unsuccessful ones). Anyway, 'before our time' is relative; for some, Granada may be before their time.

/hairsplitting mode off/
So, how long are we to hold a grudge? Do the Brits look askance at the Saxon descendants? Do the Scandanavians still deserve castigation for their forebear's shenanigans?

I don't think the US could have prevented an invasion of Portugal on Brazil, Granada notwithstanding, wouldn't the US have had to be in existance for this?

[hairsplitting on] an invasion is an invasion, Do we remind the American Indian that he came into a land that was not his own, btw are you sure that the evolutionary groups of men did not destroy the ones prescendant? In other words did the Cro magnon not war with and anniliate the Neanderthal? Where do you draw that line in the sand as to where to point that accusing finger? Do we seek out descendants of each and restore to them their original lands? Or better yet mentally wring our hands concerning these inequities in message groups?[/hairsplitting mode off] :lol:

mark
really not attacking you just that this issue is recurring and if someone splits hairs they might as well split the baloney.
Uh OK but I'se a bit lost again, especially the bit about the US military time-travelling back 500 years... :) I wasn't implying any opinion about anyone's motivation behind their invasion, just defining the term. It is a language board after all. So I don't see the above as attackination, just (for me) off the point -or should I say off the Mark :roll: ?

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:45 pm

See what I mean by sublte? So many levels. :wink:
Many of this are intentional. The trick is to spot which is witch... I wasn't implying any opinion about anyone's motivation behind their invasion, just defining the term
the original statement was that Brazil hasn't been attacked because of their association with the US, the Topic is Soldier; see posts from June 13th. Here we call what you are doing as crabwalkin' , see I kin talk good ol' boy too. :)

mark, not that far from the real one.

kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:59 pm

[quote="Bailey
the original statement was that Brazil hasn't been attacked because of their association with the US, the Topic is Soldier; see posts from June 13th. Here we call what you are doing as crabwalkin' , see I kin talk good ol' boy too. :)

mark, not that far from the real one.
My point of reference was this entry from 5/29:
Huh? Thank a soldier? As far as I know, the United States hasn't invaded Brazil. Not yet.

Brazilian dude

neither has anyone else, be grateful.

-to which my response was "ah- Portugal?". And here we be.

I don't know what crabwalkin' is. My influence in writing dat way, which I've done did all my life, is primarily Pogo.

This has indeed been an unraveling thread, from soldiers to earrings to political science. Personally I'd be content to dip back into the fishy puns a few pages back up the channel.

Cheers! :)
Last edited by sluggo on Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:59 am

why are so many posts missing?

mark

kb

Return to “Good Word Discussion”