MEGACHURCH

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

MEGACHURCH

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:50 pm

• megachurch •

Pronunciation: me-gê-chêrch • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A church with attendance of 2,000 or more; some 1,200 currently exist in the United States

Notes: Mega- (meg- before a vowel) is almost a word, for terms like megachurch, megabucks, megaton behave much more like compounds than prefixed forms. Grammatically speaking, as a prefix, mega- should be limited to attachment to Greek stems as in megaphone and megacephalous "big-headed", but it attaches freely these days to native Germanic stems like church and ton, even agency and city, pretty much any other noun you would wish to attach it to: "Yeah, well all the megabytes in your new computer took a megabite out of my wallet!" It should be attached, however, not hyphenated or written as a separate word if possible.

In Play: The days of the quiet little country church seem to be fading in the background as larger and larger congregations are assembled by radio and TV: One famous megachurch is the Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove, California, designed by Philip Johnson in 1980 for the televangelist Reverend Robert Schuller. Portions of the exterior walls open, allowing congregants to remain in their cars while viewing the worship service. There are many hidden advantages in megachurches: "Leslie likes the megachurch she attends because she is less likely to be noticed when she doesn't show up."

Word History: The prefix mega- comes from Greek megas "great, large". The Greek word is one of many derived from the same PIE root found in Indo-European languages, including Scottish mickle "much, many", Russian mnogo "much, many", not to mention English much itself. In Latin it emerged as magnus "large", a word that appears in many English words and phrases such as Magna Carta, magnum, and magnify. Of course, Hindi maharajah is made up of maha "great", from the same root + rajah "king", a word from the same root as French roi "king" and royal "royal". (Today we thank Warren Bird megamuch for suggesting such a Good Word to us.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:35 am

Over the years, I have created brand names for a few pharmaceuticals. The first one was back in the late 80's. I worked for a local Israeli agent for Bayer (Leverkusen). Bayer had invented the product nifedipine; a very big success in the treatment of ischemic heart disease (and later hypertension). The original brand name was Adalat.

The local agent obtained permission to manufacture Adalat locally, but it needed to be under a different brand name. Knowing that many patients would be wary of generic substitutes, I coined the name Megalat. The idea, which succeeded, was to be reminiscent of Adalat; while also giving a connotation of potency - thanks to the mega prefix.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:49 am

ah Theo-business. It seems as though religions are just like any other commercial endeavor.
oops sorry on-topic, uh what to say, what to say, oh I use mega for uh nope..... nothing.

mark hangs-head-in-shame Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:41 pm

Yes, to add credence to the 'compound' action of mega-, here are some Google hits:

about 249 for mega-embarrassed

about 163 for mega-thrilled

about 282 for mega-amazed

about 4,710 for mega-impressed

-Tim

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:40 pm

Use Mega!! For when regular verbs just won't do!

Return to “Good Word Discussion”