Alphadictionary.com

Our Sponsors

Technical Translation
Website Translation Clip Art

EXEGESIS

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.

EXEGESIS

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:39 pm

• exegesis •

Pronunciation: ek-sê-jee-sis • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A clarification, commentary, or explanatory note, especially one dealing with a passage in literary or religious writings

Notes: Words that end on -is in English always form their plural by replacing the -is with -es, so the plural of today's word is exegeses, just like crises, bases, and analyses are the plurals of crisis, basis, and analysis. A person good at writing or giving exegeses verbally is called an exegesist.

In Play: The scriptures are not the only texts in need of exegeses: "Without Nerdley's frequent exegeses of the instruction manual, I would never have gotten the computer up and running." As you can see, an exegesis may be verbal as well as written: "No, they didn't fire me; the boss just gave me a little exegesis of my job and told me to do better at it."
Sponsor

Word History: Today's Good Word is a carbon copy of Greek exegesis "interpretation" from exegeisthai "to interpret", comprising ex "out (of)" + hegeisthai "to lead"; an interpretation leads us out of confusion. The Greek root here, heg-, comes from Proto-Into-European *sag-, which also trickled down to English as seek. In Latin it emerges in sagax "perceptive" from sagire "to perceive", a root English borrowed in the words sage and sagacious.
• The Good Dr. Goodword
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby portokalos » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:22 am

Also an exegesis can be the end of a parexegesis.
"What is hell?" I maintain that it is the suffering of being unable to love.
Fyodor Dostoevsky-The Brothers Karamazov
portokalos
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:26 am

portokalos wrote:Also an exegesis can be the end of a parexegesis.

I tried finding parexegesis, using Onelook Dictionary Search, but came up empty-handed. Parakalo, would you shed some light on this word?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous
Perry
Grand Panjandrum

Postby portokalos » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:31 am

This word is using to greece as an apologies.
Para- exegesis
A bad explanation that leads to unanticipated offence of other person. Use that the word in Greece and try to give the correct explanation with other words.
"What is hell?" I maintain that it is the suffering of being unable to love.
Fyodor Dostoevsky-The Brothers Karamazov
portokalos
Junior Lexiterian

Return to Good Word Discussion