CONSUMMATE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

CONSUMMATE

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:32 am

• consummate •

Pronunciation: kahn-sê-mêt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Possessing supreme mastery or skill at doing something. 2. Perfect and complete in every respect; having all the necessary qualities.

Notes: Today's Good Word is the adjective, which should not be confused with the verb consummate [kahn-sê-mate], which differs only in the pronunciation of the last syllable, which has a bit more accent. Keep in mind that most of the similar derivations, such as the noun consummation, bear the meaning of the verb "to complete, carry out completely", rather than that of the adjective. The adjective has only an adverb, consummately; not even the potential noun consummateness is used in English.

In Play: We are doing something consummately when it can't be done any better, period: "Who[m] should I believe? Amos told me that Jean is a consummate musician but Andy says she only plays the radio." We can use this word when we are the best at absolutely anything: "Al Falfa played the consummate fool asking the boss for a raise the day after the lay-offs were announced." If you have been following the Masterpiece Theatre series on Casanova in the US, don't you find it depicts the old boy as rather the consummate consummator?

Word History: Today's word comes from the past participle, consummatus of the Latin verb consummare "to complete", based on con "with" + summa "sum, total". Summa is related to the suffixes mentioned in our recent discussion of subdolous. Rather than from (s)up- "under, beneath", summa comes from (s)uper "over, above" with a suffix and a lot of wear and tear over the years. However, it started out as Proto-Indo-European super-bhw-o "being above" and a dozen or so changes and 2000 years later it turned up in Latin as summa. (If you go to college, try to graduate summa cum laude "with highest honors".)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:25 pm

A royale is the consummate consommé; consumed by the bon vivant.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:27 pm

Incredibly, you have rendered me speechless.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:26 am

is this result reproducible?

mark just-kidding Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: CONSUMMATE

Postby Stargzer » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:02 pm

. . . (If you go to college, try to graduate summa cum laude "with highest honors".)
My daughter graduated magna cum laude,"with great honors." 8) I, on the other hand, was lucky to escape with my 'skin. The sheep, obviously, was not so lucky . . . :wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Discussion”