OBNUBILATE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

OBNUBILATE

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:34 am

• obnubilate •

Pronunciation: ahb-nu-bê-lêt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Cloudy, foggy, fuzzy, hazy. 2. Murky, obscure, vague, nebulous, inexplicit.

Notes: Today's word has a rich and happy family. There is the verb, also spelled obnubilate, but pronounced slightly differently, and a process noun, obnubilation. Obnubilate also has a sister adjective, obnubilous, with the same meaning, although it tends to be preferred when referring to physical clouds or fog.

In Play: There are so many English words with the literal and figurative meaning "murky" (see Meaning above) that we hardly need another. But this is a good word to use when you just want to show off your vocabulary: "His arguments are so obnubilate as to frustrate even the most meticulous attempts to penetrate them." Keep in mind this Good Word's good family, too: "Don't obnubilate the discussion with facts, Percival."

Word History: Today's word comes from the past participle of Latin obnubilare "to darken, obscure" from ob "before, in front of" + nubilare "to be cloudy or overcast." The stem of this word is the adjective nubilus "cloudy"—also in use in English as nubilous "cloudy; vague, unclear"—from nubes "cloud". It is apparently related to German Nebel "fog", Sanskrit nabhas "fog", and Russian nebo "sky", though exactly how the and the metathesized is itself a bit obnubilate. Latin also has the word nebula "cloud, fog" without the switch of the rounded vowel [o, u] with the unrounded one [i, e].
• The Good Dr. Goodword

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:48 pm

Great word! I'll have to try it next time I'm up on top of some mountain and see who tries to toss me off. (My friends prefer monosyllabic communication...)

By the way, I saw some examples of this while making a quick trip through Sluggo and Perry's country several days ago. From what I can see in the dark and from the freeway, it looks pretty in those parts!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:20 pm

Great word! I'll have to try it next time I'm up on top of some mountain and see who tries to toss me off. (My friends prefer monosyllabic communication...)
All the aquaintances of mine that would try to toss me off a mountain or defenestrate me are monosyllabic also. I think that goes without saying.

mark prefers-polysyllabics Bailey

I think the difference is that the poly ones do their warring with words but monos are unarmed for that battle so in frustration they become more er, physically demonstrative.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:57 pm

By the way, I saw some examples of this while making a quick trip through Sluggo and Perry's country several days ago. From what I can see in the dark and from the freeway, it looks pretty in those parts!
So why didn't you say you were coming through? I could have shown you that I am also "a judge of fine whiskey".
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:30 pm

Thanks for the offer, Perry! I will definitely do that the next time I'm not called at 9 pm and told I have a presentation to make in Durham at 8:00 the next morning then back in Nashville the following morning for round 2...
I meant it when I said "quick trip"! Did you hear a sonic boom during the night week before last? That was me! I didn't think my truck would free fall that fast, much less drive that fast!

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:22 pm

Thanks for the offer, Perry! I will definitely do that the next time I'm not called at 9 pm and told I have a presentation to make in Durham at 8:00 the next morning then back in Nashville the following morning for round 2...
I meant it when I said "quick trip"! Did you hear a sonic boom during the night week before last? That was me! I didn't think my truck would free fall that fast, much less drive that fast!
You coulda saved yourself 300 miles by claiming to have heard "in Nashville" as "in Asheville"...

slug-not-home-irregardless-go
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Ferrus
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Ferrus » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:41 pm

This is a good example of a word that can be used to instantly demonstrate that you are indeed more intelligent than your interlocutor.

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:21 pm

This is a good example of a word that can be used to instantly demonstrate that you are indeed more intelligent than your interlocutor.
...or a poor judge of timing to reveal that little tidbit!

Welcome, Ferrus.

Ferrus
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Ferrus » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:26 pm

I shall warn you in advance that my humour is rather dry. Never goes down too well online.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:53 pm

Then we shall all need lots of water, eh?

mark cough-cough-we're-all-pretty-dry Bailey
Last edited by Bailey on Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:10 pm

I shall warn you in advance that my humour is rather dry. Never goes down too well online.
Wry and Ginger. Speaking of which, I'm getting thirsty ...
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:18 pm

Further confusing an obnubilated Holden with a pitcher of the rye?

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:11 pm

Further confusing an obnubilated Holden with a pitcher of the rye?

I think gailr is holdin' all the aces in this bunch! :D

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:08 pm

She is surely the most pellucid of us all!
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Discussion”