sleigh

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:20 am

mark only-partially-a-perfectionist Bailey, but often a despcriptivist.
Perry are you trying to say despicable?
de·spic·a·ble (d-spk-bl, dsp-k-)
adj.
Deserving of contempt or scorn; vile.

[Late Latin dspicbilis, from Latin dspicr, to despise; see spek- in Indo-European roots.]

de·spica·ble·ness n.
de·spica·bly adv.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved
mark a-despicable-prescriptivist Baily
freely admitted

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:18 am

Not on your life! There isn't one thing about you that I despic.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:24 am

thank you Perry, here's that twenty,

mark pays-debts Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:21 am

That was uncalled for Geezer, There's nothing perjorative in being a prescriptivist. ...
True. Someone has to work in the pharmacy to fill all the prescriptions my doctor writes for me.
And I don't recall perjoring anyone.
Nevertheless those 'signs' didn't fool me even way back when I first saw them at age 10, in 1958.
I was about three years younger, and yes, I read too fast. That's why it's hard to edit my own writing: my brain knows what it meant to say. If the fingers and eyes can't keep up, well, it's not the brains problem, or so it thinks. :wink:
mark fan-of-Dr.-Bob Bailey
I wouldn't be here if I wasn't. I corresponded with the Good Doctor back in the old days of the sultry Dr. Audra Himes, the erudite Grant Hutchinson, the elusive Agoraphile, and many others, long before Doc left to start AlphaDictionary.com (The Alpha Dog of Dictionary Sites) and the old yourDictionary.com took on the appearance of one of those sites you stumble on by mistake when the search engine directs you to them; you know, the ones that seem to exist only to serve advertisements, having only a smattering of content to lure in the unwary.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:09 pm

I take it that "why to we spell it sleigh" passes muster with this group? Does this construction include a split infinitive or an unconventional prepositional phrase?

-gailr
Oh what fun it is to write in a wan hoarse oaken slay.
Gailr, you have done outdid thyself. An uncaught typo, a line fulla puns and a new tagline twist, all at once. So many presence and it's barely Solstice...

--Slug-no-muster-please-I'm-playing-ketchup-go
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Return to “Good Word Discussion”