ANENCEPHALOUS

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

ANENCEPHALOUS

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:12 pm

• anencephalous •

Pronunciation: æn-en-se-fê-lês • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Brainless, lacking a brain, empty-headed.

Notes: It is always more polite to use the medical term for whatever might be offensive. Here is the medical term for "brainless"; it has the added benefit that those you would use it for will not understand it! It offers a wonderful way to vent your frustration inoffensively while building your vocabulary. What a bargain! It comes from the noun anencephaly "the absence of a brain".

In Play: We are all constantly bumping into people who seem to have nothing in their heads; often they drift into positions of power: "I don't know how many anencephalous presidents this company can endure and stay afloat." You probably have noticed. We may safely extend the meaning of this word to the output of the witless: "Have you read the latest anencephalous memo from headquarters, the one about saving electricity by not using pencil sharpeners?" (It must have been written by someone who just pulled his or her head out of one.)

Word History: Today's Good Word is a Latinization of the Greek word anenkephalos, used the by great 2nd century Greek physician Galen (not to be confused with my grandson, Dr. Galen Beard, now approaching his 2nd birthday). It comprises four elements, a(n)- "without" + en "in" + kephale "head" + an adjective suffix. We find the prefix a(n)- in many English words, amoral, amorphous (without shape), and agnostic; the N is inserted before vowels. En comes from the same source as in and en with the same meaning in many other European languages. Greek kephale "head" comes from the same Proto-Indo-European word as English gable and German Giebel "gable".
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:18 am

At last! A word to combine with sphincter!
Oh, thou anencephalous sphincter!
I've worked for a few in my time ... :roll:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:31 am

At last! A word to combine with sphincter!
Oh, thou anencephalous sphincter!
I've worked for a few in my time ... :roll:
Doc's word brings back the old biology lab days.
Stargzr's post brings me to the present...

Return to “Good Word Discussion”