lassitude

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

lassitude

Postby M. Henri Day » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:32 pm

Another of Dr Goodword's good words - one, alas, with which I am all too familiar - which never made to the Agora. I am pleased that despite the lassitude which from time to time - 24/7 - overcomes me, I am able to play a small part in rectifying that lapse....

Henri

PS : Did not its very meaning militate against it, this noun would cry out for an adjective. But I'm too lethargic, sluggish, soporific, torpid, uninspired, and unmotivated, not to mention indolent and just down-right lazy to go look for one !...
January 3, 2005

• lassitude •

Pronunciation:
læ-sê-tyud • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass (no plural)

Meaning: 1. Lethargy, torpor, listlessness, a lack of energy, spirit, vitality. 2. Apathy, a lack of interest in things.

Notes: Although this Good Word is close to the meanings of lethargy, torpor, and listlessness, it is distinct. Lethargy is a drowsiness that interferes with alertness. Torpor is a deeper drowsiness, right on the edge of sleep or unconsciousness. Listlessness suggests more of a disinclination to move or be active rather than a change of mental state. Lassitude is more of a lack of motivation. So these words provide a nice little lexical toolkit for dividing inactivity up into several more precise senses.

In Play: Hot weather often affects us in the direction of this Good Word: “The tropical heat brought out a lassitude in everyone, driving them inside with the air conditioner for most of the day.” You can, however, find other motivations behind lassitude: “The overbearing personality of the manager spread a lassitude over the shop that sapped all interest in the job.” Molassitude would be the slowest sort of lassitude—if only it were a word.

Word History: The Good Word today comes from Old French which inherited it from Latin lassitudo, the noun from adjective lassus "weary". This word is based on a stem (las-) that goes back to Indo-European *le- "let go, slacken" plus a suffix –d, *led-, that also gave English let and late, and German lassen "let". With the suffix –n, it pops up in Russian as len' "laziness", in Latvian as lens "slow", and Latin lenis "soft, gentle", which is at the bottom of English lenient. (We are happy that Ann Walper, who lives somewhere in Tennessee, overcame any lassitude on her part to suggest this as a Good Word for us all.)

Last edited by M. Henri Day on Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:37 pm

Did not its very meaning militate against it, this noun would cry out for an adjective.
Weird.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:06 pm

Sheer lassitude... Extreme lassitude... Those work for me. I'm sure there are others.

-Tim

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:45 pm

Henri:
Did not its very meaning militate against it, this noun would cry out for an adjective.
I see that "lassitudinal" was too slow to get into the dictionaries on the net!

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:47 pm

I see that "lassitudinal" was too slow to get into the dictionaries on the net!
It was given the wrong longitudinal coordinates for the site.

-Tim :lol:

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:30 pm

At least the laditudinal coordinates were OK.
gailr

Return to “Good Word Discussion”