DIFFIDENCE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

DIFFIDENCE

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:42 pm

• diffidence •

Pronunciation: dif-ê-dents • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass (no plural)

Meaning: 1. Lack of self-confidence, self-doubt. 2. Modesty, shyness.

Notes: Today's Good Word is the noun from the adjective diffident. It is the antonym of confidence and is based on an old verb diffide "lack confidence or faith (in)" as confide once meant "to have confidence in". It looks and sounds quite a bit like difference and deference, so be careful to keep these three away from one another.

In Play: Although "lack of self-confidence" today carries a derogatory tinge, the meaning of this word is quite neutral and can even be used with a hint of the positive: "Arnold turned down the offer to become president of the company out of diffidence in his ability to please everyone." That sense extends to the point of suggesting simple shyness: "Ingrid's diffidence in public led her to spend most of her time in libraries, where she amassed an enormous knowledge of the world."

Word History: This word comes to us from Latin diffiden(t)s, the present participle of the verb diffidere "to mistrust", composed of dis- "not, un-" + fidere "to trust". The noun of the verb fidere is the fidelis "faithful, true" we hear in the Marine Corps motto, Semper fidelis "Always Faithful" and in the title of the Christmas carol, Adeste fidelis "O, Come all ye Faithful". What better word to name your true and faithful dog than Fido, also based on fidere. The root of fidere goes back to Proto-Indo-European bheidh- "trust, confide", which descended to English as bide "wait", abide "tolerate", and abode "home", all about as semantically distant from its ancestor as phonologically.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:33 am

Finally, a word I can use to describe myself!! 8)
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Re: DIFFIDENCE

Postby gailr » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:48 am

The root of fidere goes back to Proto-Indo-European bheidh- "trust, confide", which descended to English as bide "wait", abide "tolerate", and abode "home", all about as semantically distant from its ancestor as phonologically.
This puts a new spin on religious tolerance.

-gailr :wink:
who is diffidently biding her time...

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:29 am

It looks and sounds quite a bit like difference and deference, so be careful to keep these three away from one another.
Au contraire:

In play: George was different from most folks. His extreme diffidence caused him to exhibit great deference around all and sundry.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:15 pm

Hunny is modest about her diffidence. Or is that modestly diffident?

:lol:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:48 pm

Hunny is modest about her diffidence. Or is that modestly diffident?

:lol:
Would 'modestly diffident" mean you had an ok ego?

Return to “Good Word Discussion”