ACERBIC

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

ACERBIC

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:09 pm

• acerbic •

Pronunciation: ê-sêr-bik • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Sarcastic, slightly caustic, (figuratively) sharp, cutting or biting as acerbic humor.

Notes: Today's Good Word belongs to a large family of words borrowed from Latin (see Word History). The verb in this particular family is acerbate "to sour or embitter" which, of course, relates it to exacerbate whose meaning has slightly shifted. The noun is acerbity [êsêr-bê-tee], which can also refer to literal sourness, as the acerbity of a pickle.

In Play: Acerbic usually describes a source of psychological pain to someone, which is why biting and cutting are near synonyms: "One pleasant aspect of the early stages of a US political campaign is that the speeches are not at all as acerbic as they will become months later." Acerbity is often humorous, however: "Michael Moore's acerbic documentaries on the institutions of the US do not please

Word History: Today's Good Word came to us via French from Latin acerbus "bitter, tart" from acer "sharp", which also went into the making of the Latin word on which English acrimonious is based. The original root here is Proto-Indo-European ak- "sharp, pointed". Latin acus "needle", which underlies English borrowings like acumen, acuity and acid, also came from this root. We see the same root in Greek akone "whetstone", a tool for sharpening things. In Old English it became agen "ear (of grain)", which died along the way to Modern English. In Old Norse, however, it became eggja "to goad, encourage", something a good point can do. English borrowed this word during the Viking invasions of the 9th-10th centuries as the verb egg as in 'to egg someone on'. (We are thankful for the absence of any acerbity in Susan Lister's suggestion that we run this very Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:30 am

It appears that PIE ak and Latin acus underlie French "aiguille," the first syllable of which is pronounced similarly to "egg" in English.

The following link will get you to a classic photo of a
Chamonix aiguille

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:01 am

ah, another one of my favorite words. I use it a lot.

mark much-like-a-lemon Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:58 am

It appears that PIE ak and Latin acus underlie French "aiguille," the first syllable of which is pronounced similarly to "egg" in English.

The following link will get you to a classic photo of a
Chamonix aiguille
Is that you on the left, or on the right? :lol:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:01 pm

Someone described my humor as acerbic the other day. No argument from me. (Well, maybe a little. I would describe it as dark. No, warped.)

I told them they got lucky and chose the right word...

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:13 pm

This sparked a mental link to aiglett, so handy for Ren-weare, and reduced further to aglet, for the lacing of yer sneaks.

-gailr

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:15 pm

Someone described my humor as acerbic the other day.
Because you're so sharp.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”