AUGUR

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

AUGUR

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:24 pm

• augur •

Pronunciation: aw-gêr • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: To foresee, foretell, presage.

Notes: The family of today's Good Word includes an adjective, augural, and a noun augury "the process of foretelling the future". It serves without affix as the personal noun: an augur is someone who augurs. Be careful not to confuse this word with auger "a drill bit, a drill with a spiral shank and a cross handle": all but the initial vowel in today's word are U's.

In Play: People can augur: "A good student can augur from the expression on the teacher's face whether the class will be a good one." Events and actions can augur, too: "Replacing the chief financial officer doesn't augur well for the future of the company." Either way, there must be a sign or set of signs to augur from.

Word History: The original augurs were members of a Roman profession whose job it was to predict the future from the flights of birds. The first hypothesis is that since these men intended to increase productivity of the crops, the word is based on Latin augere "to increase" (related to English augment). But auguries were intended to predict, not control, the future, making this explanation unlikely. The alternative hypothesis assumes this word was originally associated with birds. This leads us to a compound consisting of av- "bird" (as in aviary) + gar-, the root of garrire "to talk". We find gar- in Latin garrulus "talkative" (English garrulous) and in Sanskrit gar- "to shout, call". Since the Romans wrote U as V, the replacement of V with U in this word is not surprising. (I augur that Rodger Collins, who suggested today's Good Word, will receive considerable gratitude for that gesture from all of us.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:43 am

Perhaps this is why many predictions are merely flights of fancy.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:11 pm

It's a verb.. It's plain.. It's... Augur in August, man.

Augur on, Doc; well done. Word of the Day always plumbs the depths of word blossoms and is never ever ...boring.

Brings us to pretty places too.

Slug-just muddying the waters as usual-go
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:02 pm

It's a verb.. It's plain.. It's... Augur in August, man.

Augur on, Doc; well done. Word of the Day always plumbs the depths of word blossoms and is never ever ...boring.

Brings us to pretty places too.

Slug-just muddying the waters as usual-go
Screw Auger Falls
Sorry, not my particular orientation (or do I misconstrue?)
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:09 am

hmmm somewhere in the dim reaches of my memory I think I remember Skinny suggesting this word in the form of Augury. hmmmmmm.

mark chimps-have-poor-rememberers Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:25 am

It all depends on; well you know the drill.

mark nuff-said Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:54 pm

Screw Auger Falls
Sorry, not my particular orientation (or do I misconstrue?)
Sounds redundant, dunnit?

Bailey, our panel of search judges says you are correct sir.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Return to “Good Word Discussion”