NAUGHTY

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

NAUGHTY

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:48 pm

• naughty

Pronunciation: naw-dee • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Slightly morally bad, forgivably bad, misbehaving.

Notes: Naughty refers today only to breaking rules (not to bad water or a bad play in cricket or soccer) and is used mostly in referring to children who misbehave. It is most widely used today humorously, as eating ice cream is naughty if you are on a diet or ogling an attractive member of the opposite gender is naughty. Criminals are far, far worse than naughty. You may still compare this word the old-fashioned way: naughtier and naughtiest. Notice you change the Y to I, as you do in creating the noun, naughtiness.

In Play: Today's Good Word is a substitute for bad when you are joking: "Grace, you are a naughty girl: you are supposed to be on a diet yet here are two—count them, two—quarts of chocolate fudge ice cream in your freezer." A serious message may be hidden in this word, though: "You naughty boys shouldn't go to that nice, new restaurant without taking your wives along."

Word History: Today's Good Word originally referred to anything bad: naughty water, naughty food, naughty weather. As bad and evil assumed these meanings, its sense was attenuated. It comes from naught "nothing", which was nawiht in Old English. Nawiht is composed of na "no" + wiht "thing". Na is a variant of no. Wiht went on to become whit, as in not to care a whit (small amount) for something. The same compound in Old German was niwiht, which evolved into Modern German nichts "nothing". How is nichts pronounced? Well, very much like nix, a copy of nichts that has been rattling around English since the end of the 19th century. (Chuck Lee would have been naughty had kept today's Good Word all to himself, so we have to thank him for pointing out its good qualities.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:42 am

As the naughty Mae West used to say, "When I am good, I am good. But when I am bad, I am very good!"
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:30 am

Those naughty rascals.

mark so-bad Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:28 pm

I once met a young lady who worked with hearing tests. She called herself as "a naughtyologist".

Well, she did give me a hearing test.

(I flunked)
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Return to “Good Word Discussion”