DISSEMBLE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

DISSEMBLE

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:21 pm

• dissemble •

Pronunciation: dis-sem-bêl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: To pretend, to give a false or misleading semblance of something, to mislead, deceive, misguide, or fake.

Notes: Today's Good Word is a more mellifluous substitute for deceive or mislead. It is completely unrelated to disassemble and hence should not be confused with this word. It is a dissembler who dissembles until caught in his or her dissemblance.

In Play: Dissemblance can be simple fakery: "The fact that Cranston dissembled most of his credentials became painfully apparent the first day he took up the duties of his new job." Anything you intentionally disguise is also dissembled: "I cannot dissemble my love of your chocolate

Word History: This lovely old word was captured from Old French dessembler "to be different", a word made up of dis- "not" + sembler "to appear, seem". It comes from the same ultimate source as English resemble, similar, and simulate, the Proto-Indo-European root sem- "one, as one". These three words were borrowed from French, but the same root became same in English, homos "same" in Greek", sam "together" in Sanskrit, and sam "self" in Russian, as in samovar, literally "self-boiler" and samizdat "self-publishing".
• The Good Dr. Goodword

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Re: DISSEMBLE

Postby sluggo » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:28 am

For Sale:
Legislator, slightly used, good shape. Includes special favors, taxpayer junkets, abuses of power, fraud, E-Z Pocket Kickback Acceptor and power sneering. Some dissembly required.
...It is completely unrelated to disassemble and hence should not be confused with this word.
Damn. Off the wagon again... :cry:
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:27 pm

Hey, Sluggo! I think I also know that legislator!

Return to “Good Word Discussion”