Dr. Goodword's Travels

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Dr. Goodword's Travels

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:16 am

The good Dr. Goodword (Robert Beard) will be traveling today to Colorado to spend the holidays with his sons and grandchildren. This means that his attendance to the Good Words in the Agora will be sporadic. Should I forget to copy a Good Word over to the Agora, I would not be offended if one of our regulars did. I just copy and paste them in, then touch them up a little with bold and italic fonts.

I will be in touch and will return on December 30.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:46 am

Ah, I admit that there have been times when I desperately wanted to reply to one of your words I did just that.

mB.

Have a safe and great trip, a Merry Christmas and Happy/prosperous New Year to all also!

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:16 pm

I am going to be really slammed during this time. Can someone else handle the WOTD this time around?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:34 am

I am going to be really slammed during this time. Can someone else handle the WOTD this time around?
Why, I'll be pleased to take it.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:56 am

All us'all (we'uns?) should get the Good Dr. Goodword back in a timely fashion; this winter has--so far--been nicer than last years!

-gailr
hoping not to need her snow-up-to-the-eyeballs avatar this time around...

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:09 am

All us'all (we'uns?) ...
I have an ongoing friendly feud with a close friend who first turned me on to this site, on the topic of whether this word truly exists in Pennsylvania. :D
-gailr
hoping not to need her snow-up-to-the-eyeballs avatar this time around...
Hey! Don't be rubbin' it in!
So far all I got was a dusting last weekend that embodied the word subtle -with the sun shining.

-Sluggo, even now forced to watch a 36 degree rain... :evil:

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:44 am

Sluggo, where you live now you have to replace y'all with you'uns.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:00 pm

[fingers in ears] la la la I can't hear you[/fingers]

No really, I'm still in North Cackalack, just an hour away. Have still never heard this one in real whirled parlance.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:36 pm

We'uns I've never heard.

Ah, but yuns as in "Wutter yuns doin'?" is genuine Pittsburgese as spoken by my late brothers-in-law and other in-laws and friends from Pgh.

Me, I'm a native Warshintonian, to spell it phonetically. You know, the place where Congress (the opposite of Progress) meets.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:30 pm

One feels that there should be a first person cazh‡ plural lexical equivalent -- lowbrow as it may be -- to y'all or (gailr revels in ungrammaticalism) *all* y'all where em-face-iss is needed.

If yuns don't cotton to we'uns, kindly cough up yer alternate suggestions. Maybe Santa will leave some ideas in yer stockin's. Happy Chrismahanukwanzayulakah to y'all, and to all y'all a good night.

-gailr

‡ cazh = casual, as opposed to formal, court speak.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:34 pm

One feels that there should be a first person cazh‡ plural lexical equivalent -- lowbrow as it may be -- to y'all or (gailr revels in ungrammaticalism) *all* y'all where em-face-iss is needed.

If yuns don't cotton to we'uns, kindly cough up yer alternate suggestions. Maybe Santa will leave some ideas in yer stockin's. Happy Chrismahanukwanzayulakah to y'all, and to all y'all a good night.

-gailr

‡ cazh = casual, as opposed to formal, court speak.
A parcel of curiousibilities here: Nummer wan, how did you do (and 1a, whatdaya call ‡)? - Numbner too, would not to demand the objective usn's rathered than we'ns and Nunner 2a, what do the N in usn's, y'uns, we'uns etc stand for?

I fink yer makin this stoof up. :shock:

Jest makin' shore I git my coal, it's coaled out here in the mountin's

Happy Merry Eve one and all. You too Adam.

ps Y'all is always plural (Sluggo's First Law)

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:40 pm

We'uns I've never heard.

Ah, but yuns as in "Wutter yuns doin'?" is genuine Pittsburgese as spoken by my late brothers-in-law and other in-laws and friends from Pgh....
Yes I've heard of the existence of this but w'all in SEPA consider Pittsburgh to be pretty much another country. I'd guess they prolly think the same. I've only been there once or twice, never for long enough to case the local parlance. It's the strangest thing to walk around in such a foreign land and yet the license plates are all familiar...

Again, warmest wishes and/or wimmest warshes to all :mrgreen: and to all a good knight.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:30 pm

A parcel of curiousibilities here: Nummer wan, how did you do (and 1a, whatdaya call ‡)?
That would be a double-dagger -- , as opposed to the regular dagger -- .

On a WinDoze machine you can click Start/Run and run charmap.exe to find it as well as a host of other special characters you can select to copy and paste..
- Numbner too, would not to demand the objective usn's rathered than we'ns and Nunner 2a, what do the N in usn's, y'uns, we'uns etc stand for?
Probably a contraction of "one."

Jest makin' shore I git my coal, it's coaled out here in the mountin's

Happy Merry Eve one and all. You too Adam.

ps Y'all is always plural (Sluggo's First Law)
One year at the office the secretaries in the front office were all being catty with each other. I stayed late one night since I was going on leave, wrapping charcoal briquets in Christmas paper. I dropped one into each stocking in the front office; secretaries for their cattiness and the managers on general principles. Months later a friend was looking in my trunk and saw a wrapped briquet and said, "Oh, did uou get one too?" I said, "No, I'm the one who gave them out!" He said everyone was blaming it on Tom, the Union Rep.

I use y'all in the singular, so I guess I need some remedial Southern Grammer. In Boston, it's "all o' yuz."

Merry Christmas, Sluggo, and to the rest of the denizens of the AlphaAgora the Alpha of all Dictionary sites.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:50 pm

[fingers in ears] la la la I can't hear you[/fingers]

No really, I'm still in North Cackalack, just an hour away. Have still never heard this one in real whirled parlance.
When I was selling INsurance nearly six years ago, I had a client in Burnsville who used the term you'uns. Hence my remark. I believe that you are in Yancy county now.
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:18 am

When I was selling INsurance nearly six years ago, I had a client in Burnsville who used the term you'uns. Hence my remark. I believe that you are in Yancy county now.

Could they have grown up in Pittsburgh or y'know, that other Pennsylvania?

Yes, I believe it is Yancey but they all have that local twang.
Well, folks you do, all y'all do.
I think your client musta bin an isolated case.
(was it the UMbrella INsurance?) :twisted:

Larry, 'all o' youse' is very familiar from Philly, or anywhere Irish immigrants were numerous -though my first encounter as a child with this written word was confusing as I wanted to pronounce it to rhyme with 'house' which didn't match anything I had heard (and still doesn't). And happy healthy hollydaze back atchya.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”