Brusque

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Brusque

Postby sluggo » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:32 am

brusque

Pronunciation: brêsk • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Blunt, huffy, rudely short or curt

Notes: The most common error related to this word is, of course, its spelling. Don't drop your guard and write brusk—that went out in the 17th century. Another tender area is the comparative forms. Because this word has only one syllable, we would expect its comparative and superlative forms to end on -er and -est. However, the tide of writers is turning to more brusque and most brusque. At this point it is your choice, but in this case we like the direction of the tide. Brusquely is the adjective and brusqueness, the noun.

In Play: Brusqueness is a quick directness that is mildly offensive: "When I asked Celia Feight who dyes her hair, she brusquely showed me the door." You have probably encountered situations like this: "The brusque demeanor of Gayla Vente left me thinking that she was a person of some importance."

Word History: Today's Good Word is French brusque "lively, fierce" borrowed from Italian or Portuguese brusco "coarse, rough". These words are hand-me-downs from Late Latin bruscum, which some believe is a blend of brucus "heather" and ruscus "butcher's broom". We don't think so, however, since blends are a recent phenomenon rarely found outside English.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:40 pm

Better brisk (or bisque) than brusque.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Discussion”