Dongle

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Dongle

Postby sluggo » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:17 am

dongle

Pronunciation: dawng-gêl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A piece of hardware that must be plugged into a computer port in order for a copyrighted piece of software to operate on the computer. Its purpose is to protect the software from unauthorized use. 2. An adapter that fits into a computer port to provide a function or connection the computer is not fitted for.
Notes: Dangling Dongles in the original sense are still used for high-end (high-priced) engineering software where the temptation to "borrow" the program is the greatest. However, no doubt because of the sound similarity of this word and dangle, the meaning has already shifted to something that dangles from your laptop or desk computer. None of our tech guys have heard this new word used as a verb, so the only variant we know of at this point is the plural, dongles.

In Play: Putting this word in play sounds rather dangerous but here goes nothing: "Mick Stupp is off line today because he lost his dongle; he needs it for his Internet connection." Where can we go with this word from here? I don't think we will ever greet friends with, "How are your dongles dangling," so this word will probably never be used outside Nerdish like this: "I do love you, Amanda, but you make me feel more like a dongle than a major card on your motherboard." (Did you just moan or was that Shakespeare turning over in his grave?)

Word History: Today's Good Word has a very short history that has left us no breadcrumbs to follow. It is easy to see that this word might have been an intentional variant pronunciation of dangle. However, as the definitions above make clear, the original dongles didn't dangle. In all probability, the word was made up, then gained wider currency as dongles did begin to dangle and the word made more sense to the general population. (We won't leave you dangling any longer: Patricia Castellanos was the person kind enough to suggest today's Good Word.)

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

From that shy Canadian, Pierre Laberge

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:07 am

Well, that was a dongulational discussion of the word dongle!
Of course, dingling your dongle would be obscene....
And naturally, you would want to dongle safely, although I do not know if you would use a condom, or some anti-whatever program.

The first "dongle", was a single chip, called the BPI chip, which was installed by plugging this 8 legged little creature into the game port (a female chip mount) of an Apple ][+ computer. With the chip, this early accounting program would work when you stuck the 5.25 inch PROGRAM floppy disk into the "A" drive, and the DATA disk into the "B" drive. Without it, the software would not work. The chip contained machine language software that did sorting and other intensive CPU work. Remember that these early computers ran at about 3 MHz. Certain routines would take forever to run in BASIC or some other human interface language.

I think you have now been sufficiently dongulated into the history of creative and useful dongling.

Besides I have exhausted my imagination on the topic.
I have also abused the English Language to the point where many would like to dongle me at the end of a short rope, over a long drop....

You may feel free to post this, delete it, or make a paper airplane out of the email (printing required, first...).

Sincerely, Pierre M. Laberge
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Return to “Good Word Discussion”