CHORTLE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

CHORTLE

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:00 am

• chortle •

Pronunciation: chor-têl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: To laugh with a snort, spasmodically.

Notes: In fact, although this word is used quite often, no one knows exactly what it means; every dictionary has a different meaning. My sense of the word is that a chortle is a slightly suppressed laugh but I am sure every English-speaker has his or her own sense of the word. The Oxford English Dictionary doesn't even offer a meaning for it. My definition above is based on its origin (for which see Word History).

In Play: Some dictionaries claim that chortles are more often at someone else's expense: "Madeleine could not help but chortle when she saw Murine wearing a polka-dot shirt with striped pants." Others seem to think it an expression of unusual joy: "Franz chortled briefly upon reading his acceptance letter from Harvard but then went right back to work." But then laughter of any sort is an expression of joy, hardly limited to chortle.

Word History: Today's Good Word is a rarity in that we can pinpoint its origin with absolute certainty. It was introduced by Lewis Carroll in his children's novel, Through the Looking Glass, published in 1872. Alice finds a book while she is watching the White King and opens it to a poem called Jabberwocky. The "Jabberwocky Song" contains the line "'O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!' He chortled in his joy." The word is what Carroll called a portmanteau word and what linguists call a blend: a word made by combining two other words, in this case, chuckle and snort. (We thank Johannes Strand for the chortle he gave us all today by suggesting this very Good Word. We will return to portmanteau shortly.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:58 pm

So are you returning to Port Manteau by boat? Isn't that near the Port Cullis Naval Base?
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:08 am

I find it rather strange that "no one knows exactly what it means" because I think the good Reverend Dodgson defined it rather well. Simply take the set of all chuckles and the set of all snorts and the intersection of these sets would be the set of chortles.

Also, since both "chuckle" and "snort" are nouns as well as verbs, I believe the good Reverend would approve of the following usage: "The chortles emanating from his office suggested that the pamphlet comparing the new belfry of Christ Church to a meat press was going rather well."

Return to “Good Word Discussion”