GHERKIN

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

GHERKIN

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:54 am

• gherkin •

Pronunciation: gêr-kin • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A prickly West Indian gourd whose immature fruit is pickled. 2. A small pickled cucumber.

Notes: Today's Good Word is a curiosity: one of a very few English words beginning with GH. The H, of course, is irrelevant, a 'silent' H. Its oddness is probably responsible for the fact that it is a lexical orphan, without related derivations.

In Play: Moms, here is how you can spice up your discussions with your children using today's word: "Aha! Caught you jerking a gherkin out of the jar! Put it back or you'll ruin your dinner." There isn't much room in this word's meaning for metaphor, so we are stuck with its literal meaning: "I wouldn't insult my guest with gherkins on their hamburgers; I serve only large dills."

Word History: This English word is the result of mistaking Dutch gurken, the plural of gurk "cucumber", as a singular form. The Dutch word is a shortened form of agurk, borrowed from a Slavic language, either Polish ogorek or Russian ogurec. The Slavs probably got their word from late Greek angourion "watermelon". The Greeks may have taken the word from Persian angarah or aguron, but no one knows for sure. (We might have been in a pickle had Jackie Strauss not provided us with this Good Word when she did.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:26 pm

Gherkin! That's a real dilly!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Discussion”