EARWIG

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

EARWIG

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:52 am

• earwig •

Pronunciation: eer-wig • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. [Noun] If this seems like a silly place to put a wig, you're right: an earwig is an elongated insect with pincerlike appendages on its rear (see picture). 2. [Verb] To catch someone's ear, to capture their attention and attempt to influence them.

Notes: In a recent blog I discussed words that bear no resemblance to their meaning; today's Good Word is rather obviously one of them. The earwig got its name from an old assumption that they crawled into the brain through the ear and caused insanity. Don't laugh: 200 years ago it was as good an explanation of mental disease as any

In Play: The phrases "put a bug in your ear" and "put a bee in your bonnet" are extensions of the verbal use of today's Good Word: "Rumor has it that Carl Rove still earwigs President Bush on election matters." Otherwise, earwigs are household pests: "I've been told I have earwigs in the house: should I call an exterminator or a wig-maker?"

Word History: Today's Good Word has never been related to the noun wig as we use it today. Rather, the wig in earwig is the same as that in wiggle, for in Old English today's word was earwicga, based on eare "ear" + wicga "insect". Wicga originally meant "wiggler". It is based on a Proto-Indo-European root that referred to travel by vehicle, as we see in words like wagon and way, which also come from it. The W became a V in Latin, leading to Latin vehere "to carry", forefather of our vehicle, and via "road", which we use today as a preposition, as to travel to New York via (by way of) Philadelphia.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:49 am

A friend of mine once had the misfortune to have a cockroach crawl into her ear while she slept. From the amount of discomfort it caused, I can believe it would cause one to go insane if a doctor couldn't remove it.

Yuck!

Return to “Good Word Discussion”