SMATTER

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

SMATTER

Postby Bailey » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:56 am

• smatter •

Pronunciation: smæ-dêrHear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, transitive

Meaning: To engage in marginally or to a small degree; to trifle or piddle with; to dabble in some area of knowledge.

Notes: Today's Good Word is far less common than its derivatives, smatterer "a dabbler", and smattering "a small amount". However, the verb underlying these two words is still out there, ready and waiting to be used in ways the next section will demonstrate. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, smatter is confused with splatter in the US, as in "smattered with mud", and the like. I would never say anything like that and if I can keep the two words discrete, anyone can.

In Play: Remember that today's Good Word is transitive: it does not require a preposition as do piddle (with) and dabble (in): "Luke Warme is less a Renaissance Man than a person who smatters many things, mastering none." Dabbling in languages is closely associated with today's Good Word: "Lucille smatters French so poorly that she ordered a bowl of soup in Paris and was told that the restaurant didn't have bowling balls."

Word History: No one has been able to put together a history of today's Good Word. It can be traced only back to Middle English smateren "to make noise, talk idly". We do find similar forms in other Germanic languages like Swedish smattra "to patter, crackle, rattle" and German schmettern "blare out", but connections with these words are dubious at best. In Scottish dialects we find a verb smatter "to smash", but, again, the semantic differences between this word and today's Good Word are too great to establish a relationship.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:24 am

This is weird, I did not post this, yet here it is under my name.

mb

kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:16 am

'smatter? Got a double?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:11 pm

Is he a victim of that criminal group, the Doppel Gäng?
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:00 pm

I had originally posted something like wha' smatter you, cuz it hadn't been posted as a goodword yet.

mb

kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:25 pm

I thought Whatsamatta U was the college in Rocky and Bullwinkle but it isn't referenced on Wikipedia. T-shirts are available on Cafe Press from Yo Mammas House, but other references are few. I did find an online registration site for Whatsamatta U, but I'd be leery of signing up myself (it's a sample online form from an advanced Java class (pun not intended but I'll take what I can get ;) )).

There's also a Unix tutorial at Berkely that uses Whatsamatta U as a fictitious school. Note that in the city that doesn't want military recruiters the tutorial is titled "Spying on your neighbors."

:roll:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:40 am

[off topic] Gzer: you've let your dog out of the clink! He looks much calmer and happier in the new avatar.[/off topic]

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:08 am

He's only out of the clink when someone's home, and then he's on a leash (the blue strap in the picture) with his pinch/prong collar and his e-collar.

Ira, our trainer, has many words of wisdom for the class. One that he's repeated a few times is: "Ladies, when you're walking your dog and a strange man comes up to you and you're worried, tell him your dog's a crotch-biter." When I saw how Dudley was holding his Big Brute chew toy I couldn't resist pulling out my Crackberry and snapping this picture.

Another bit of his advice: if you have to go to the ATM at night, take your dog and have him heel on your left with your back to the ATM. Put the dog in a sit-stay and then turn yourself around to work the ATM with the dog now on your right. When you are finished and turn around the dog is already in the heel position. No one is going to get close enough to look over your shoulder and steal your PIN with the dog sitting there staring at him. Even a small dog should react if someone gets too close. If someone tries to bother you when you leave you have the crotch-biter right there with you. :wink: I doubt this would work with your cats, though, Gail. :D
Regards//Larry

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:47 pm

you mean you never listened to Dr. Demento and heard the song "Whassamatta you... shutta yo face."?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFacWGBJ_cs
comes close but is not exactly the song I was a'lookin' for.

mb

how odd the memory is I can distinctly rememer it was whassamatta you, shutta yo mouf.

kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:54 pm

A very funny song. But Gzer is quite correct. Whatsamatta U. is the alma matter of said squirrel and moose. I don't care what Wickpedia may say on the subject.

"Are they friendly spirits?" "Friendly? Just listen."
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:37 pm

The "Whatsamatta U" golf shirts at Cafe Press are funny, but I think the school name should be rendered in Fraktur, in an arc around the shield. 8)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Gzer: my college cat, a gift from an admirer, was none too keen on men in general and cowboys in particular. When he felt it was time for a gentleman caller to depart, he would sit in front of him and fix him with an unblinking stare. For as long as it took. My roommates and I thought this was hilarious every time. The boys on the other hand, not so much. He did weed out the dilettantes, though.

He could also leap effortlessly (and without maiming me) from floor to shoulder, and frequently rode shotgun there on excursions about town. He radiated a "Back off! me buckos" vibe which might have been more effective at an ATM than you'd think...

But on the whole, you're right. Few cats see themselves as employees of any type, bodyguard included. > ^_^ <

Return to “Good Word Discussion”