FAZE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

FAZE

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:23 pm

• faze •

Pronunciation: fayzHear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, transitive

Meaning: To discompose, rattle, upset.

Notes: The trick to facilely manipulating today's Good Word, of course, is not to confuse it with phase "a discrete stage of development". These two words are pronounced identically but, as you can see, they are spelled quite differently. Derivationally, it is a pretty unremarkable word: fazing is the adjective and process noun. No other forms are currently in use.

In Play: Here is a little phrase that might help in remembering how to spell these two different words: "The final phase of compiling the dictionary didn't faze Miriam Webster a bit even though it was the most complex and difficult one." We hope it didn't faze you. Here is one more, lest we forget: "Not even the most intellectually demanding courses in physical education faze Randy Marathon."

Word History: Today's Good Word came from the Kentish word feeze "to frighten, alarm, discomfit", a descendant of Old English fésian "to drive away." Old English inherited the word from a Proto-Germanic word, something like fausjanan, which also went on to become Swedish fösa "drive, push". Phase comes from New Latin phases "phases of the moon". Latin borrowed this word from Greek phaseis, the plural of phasis "appearance", the noun based on the verb phainein "to show". It is related to pho(t)s "light", the basis of such English words as phosphorus and photography. (This brings us to the gratitude phase of today's Good Word, and thanking both Kathleen McCune and Jan Arps for suggesting it doesn't faze us a bit. Jan also suggested boondoggle, by the way. I also owe a nod and a tip of the hat to Larry Brady, the Stargazer of our Alpha Agora for suggesting the name Miriam Webster.)[/url]
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: FAZE

Postby Stargzer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:10 am

... I also owe a nod and a tip of the hat to ...
Does anyone else remember Jimmy Hatlo's They'll Do It Every Time?
The strip illustrated minor absurdities, frustrations, ironies and misfortunes of everyday life. Often, these ideas came from reader suggestions, which were credited with a small acknowledgment, accompanied by a tiny drawing of Hatlo tipping his hat.
... Larry Brady, the Stargazer of our Alpha Agora for suggesting the name Miriam Webster.)[/url]
While I suggested the name to the Good Doctor, I found it (mis)used in this high falutin' post on the Goodword Discussion forum.
However, Miriam Webster seems to be wrong when dating the word to 1839, as George Whitfield used the word in 1747. Although how one falutes all tenderly is a question I'm not sure I want answered.
"Thanx and a Tip of the Hatlo Hat to..." kscoyote from Stargzer. :wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Re: FAZE

Postby sluggo » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:15 am

... I also owe a nod and a tip of the hat to ...
Does anyone else remember Jimmy Hatlo's They'll Do It Every Time?
I do :oops:
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Return to “Good Word Discussion”