HUMOR

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

HUMOR

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:21 pm

• humor •

Pronunciation: hyu-mêrHear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, Verb

Meaning: 1. [Countable noun] Any bodily fluid: blood, lymph, or other glandular secretion. 2. [Mass noun] Anything that causes smiles or laughter, and puts us in a very good mood. 3. [Verb] To favor or do a favor for, be nice to someone.

Notes: This word started out referring to fluid and, in the medical profession, it still does. Elsewhere it migrated to a mass noun, as to be in good humor (= mood), and from there to its sense of comedy today. If you live outside the US, look out for the British spelling humour, like the British spelling of colour, labour, and splendour. The verb humor has a slightly different meaning as in, "I know you don't like this program but humor me and watch it this one time."

In Play: Today we begin a series on the four ancient humors and their influence on English adjectives. Ancient and medieval physiologists believed that our moods were determined by four bodily fluids: blood (confidence, cheerfulness), phlegm (sluggishness), yellow bile (short-temper), and black bile (thoughtfulness, depression). Over the course of this week we will explore these moods and the English words that still reflect them. In the meantime, we can use today's word as a substitute for mood: "Lloyd seems to be out of humor today; let's all try humoring him as much as possible." We may also join the medical profession and use this word in the sense of "bodily fluid": "The very mention of Spitzer's name makes all my humors boil!"

Word History: Today's Good Word started out as Latin humor "fluid, moisture" from the verb humere "be wet, moist". The same root gave Latin humidus "wet", which English borrowed as humid. Because these words were also spelled without the initial H, i.e. umor, umidus, most etymologists think that they were confused with humus "earth, soil" and picked up the initial H from that otherwise unrelated word. (Jim Marlin's suggestion that we treat sanguine as a Good Word put us in the humor to offer all four words associated with the ancient humors, beginning with humor itself.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:47 am

I am so happy that the Good Humor Man never tried to sell me bodily fluids such as blood, lymph, or other glandular secretions. I might have been scarred for life. :roll:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:51 pm

I am so happy that the Good Humor Man never tried to sell me bodily fluids such as blood, lymph, or other glandular secretions. I might have been scarred for life. :roll:
Ah, but he did, did you not eat that ice cream?

mark scared-for-life bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:33 pm

A feature on the four humors: another opportunity to revisit phlegmatic, melancholy, and sanguine,

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:33 am

Ah yes, back when Doctors knew it all, [does this sound familiar] they were treating people for humors, bleeding them and in their spare time arguing about the "Germ theory". Now it's all chemical, but they now really do know-it-all.

hmmmmm
mb

kb

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:24 pm

Fortunately, I've only come across one doctor who 'knew it all'. The others (and those treating family members) listened to their patients, involved them in informed decision-making, and suggested treatments that worked best for them.

Especially the one who understood why I wanted to avoid pharmaceuticals for asthma. We worked out an unorthodox plan (not covered by insurance, but then, not so expensive as to require it!) that conformed to his professional requirements and satisfied mine. He didn't have to know it all; he just had to know more than me in his area of expertise to leave me breathing in very good humor.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:07 pm

Fortunately, I've only come across one doctor who 'knew it all'. The others (and those treating family members) listened to their patients, involved them in informed decision-making, and suggested treatments that worked best for them.

Especially the one who understood why I wanted to avoid pharmaceuticals for asthma. We worked out an unorthodox plan (not covered by insurance, but then, not so expensive as to require it!) that conformed to his professional requirements and satisfied mine. He didn't have to know it all; he just had to know more than me in his area of expertise to leave me breathing in very good humor.
I find the above not only wonderful for you, but at the same time due gto my own experiences with many many doctors; impossible to believe, but I'm glad for you. Especially since pharmaceuticals weren't forced upon you.

mb

kb

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:18 am

He was old enough to be a full doc, but new enough to not fear potential malpractice suits everywhere. He went into conventional medicine after a lifelong interest in herbs and diet, and was fortunate to be practicing with a group which did not rule out 'unorthodox' treatments. (Disclaimer: Homeopathic philtres with dilute-shake-shake-shake-dilute-shake-shake-shake-dilute-shake-shake-shake-dilute-shake-shake-shake etc. offend reason in my book and I am not referring to them when I say 'unorthodox treatments'.)

He also gave me the official medical concerns about every herb on both our proposed lists, and advised me strongly against any folk remedies involving smoking. :wink:

I developed a fantastic herb garden which benefited on several levels, and a nice little stock of materials for the winter months. It was great. I hope he will always find partnership with sensible yet open-minded physicians and *never* be targeted by an ill-humored grouch looking for litigation.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:52 pm

In all fairness, some people litigate cheerfully. :wink:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:14 pm

In all fairness, some people litigate cheerfully. :wink:
All too true, unfortunately. There are some who will file a protest against a Federal Government procurement award they lost just to get paid off to drop the protest. Unfortunately, it's cheaper to pay off the thieves than to fight them.

:evil:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:15 pm

Fortunately, I've only come across one doctor who 'knew it all'.
In my line of work I've come across tens of thousands of doctors, and I'd guess only about 99.9% of them know it all.

And if I had any doubt of that it's repeatedly confirmed by thousands of nurses. :wink:

Gailr's find is a truly unique treasure.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Return to “Good Word Discussion”