VICENNIAL

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Re: VICENNIAL

Postby sluggo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:46 am

(Hoo, boy! looking up De Forest led me off to a series of articles that dragged me down memory lane, back to the days of vacuum tubes and the All American Five, one of which I owned in my youth.
Wha? No pictures?
Anything like this one that I grew up with?

Larry, next time you're ambling leisurely along Highway 6 on the north shore of Nova Scotia (5 km W of Tatamagouche) keep an eye out for a singular sign heralding "Bayhead Radio Museum". He's got yours, mine and everybody else's crammed wall-to-wall in his upstairs, and a decent license plate collection downstairs too. But he was about 107 years old when I stopped in four years ago...

Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:34 am

... the All American Five, one of which I owned in my youth.
Wha? No pictures?
Anything like this one that I grew up with?
No, mine was a red plastic AM clock-radio set, not SW, with the CONELRAD triangles markings 640 and 1240.

Larry, next time you're ambling leisurely along Highway 6 on the north shore of Nova Scotia (5 km W of Tatamagouche) keep an eye out for a singular sign heralding "Bayhead Radio Museum". He's got yours, mine and everybody else's crammed wall-to-wall in his upstairs, and a decent license plate collection downstairs too. But he was about 107 years old when I stopped in four years ago...

I'll have to keep an eye out for it if I ever get up there. One of these years I want to make a pilgrimage to Stanfest in Canso.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

engineer27
Junior Lexiterian

Postby engineer27 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:54 am

... BJTs have been integrated on a large scale for more than a vicennium, thank you very much!
Yeah, but you rarely see an NPN or PNP discrete; mostly you see NANDs and NORs and DACs and ADCs and Op Amps ...
I'm an analog/RF guy, so I deal with individual devices all the time (usually CMOS, though). I don't ever actually see the real devices, but since the avatar is just a virtual persona anyway ...
Uh, because Lee De Forest's Audion (father of the triode) preceded the pentode? The only thing earlier than a lead crystal was probably Marconi's coherer, which pre-dates me by even more than the triode.
Oops. Guess I should have been paying closer attention.:oops:

However, you are leaving little doubt about the two e's (vs an a). :wink:

engineer27
Junior Lexiterian

Postby engineer27 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:05 am

Anode the current thread would transform to this, all the sines were there. Oh they tried to resist but just didn't have the capacitance.

Serially, you guys could be on the circuit faraday. Watt would you charge?
We always need to keep our ion the ball, or conversations will tend to drift. At least we have you to keep us on base, and as a source of inspiration.

As they say, live magnetic or dielectric!

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:57 am

I see we're going through another phase where we can't resist the impulse to switch from serious, neutral discussions to seeking an outlet for punning. (It's fitting that this doesn't happen with much frequency or we'd be grounded!) It hertz some to hear language used so, but it's not our fault if they can't go with the flow.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:56 am

It hertz some to hear language used so, but it's not our fault if they can't go with the flow.
Nice one G. :lol:

I gotta emit, we could probe the points for keeping on an even coil, but all the solder if they're biased to stay static and can't alternate (or swim with the sparks, so toos peak). Leave us then continue to conductor selves in this revolting manner even if it does throw an otherwise arc-ane thread off valence.

You prolly all herd this before:
Two ions are walking down the ionosphere. One stops short and says "hey, wait up, I just lost an electron!"
2nd ion: "are you sure?"
1st ion: "Yeah, I'm positive!"
[ba-dum]

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:18 pm

Let's not generate too many electrical puns. It might be revolting.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:00 pm

Amperey sure we have discharged the full load of potential here, so wire we still at it?

Still, if we missed one I'd like to meter.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:47 am

You can kilowat a time, thinking up these things. But it's restful, too: the sort of diversion one might enjoy when retreating from the battery of urban life, to chant OHM in a small cell...

Still, if we missed one I'd like to meter
Best to play hard to get. Resister.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”