TANTAMOUNT

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

TANTAMOUNT

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:11 pm

• tantamount •

Pronunciation: tæn-tê-mæwntHear it!

Part of Speech: Defective adjective

Meaning: About the same as, the equivalent of, almost equal to.

Notes: Today's Good Word is what I call a "defective" adjective, one that can only occur in predicate position, like aboard, aloft, and around. We can NOT say "the aloft airplane", only "the airplane is aloft." Similarly, we can only say, "his actions are tantamount to a crime," and never speak of "his tantamount actions". Of course, such adjectives cannot be compared or derived: there are no nouns or adverbs derived from them. As you might have noticed, this adjective takes an object with the preposition to.

In Play: This word is generally used in situations involving a causal relation, so that if A is tantamount to B, A could lead to B: "Felix's spotty attendance record at board meetings was tantamount to submitting his resignation." Such situations arise at all levels of our lives: "But, mother, I consider your giving me the car keys and enough money to get the tattoo tantamount to giving me permission."

Word History: Today's Good Word comes from an old Anglo-Norman (French spoken in England) phrase, tant amunter "to amount to as much as", which includes tant "so much" + amunter "to amount to". Tant is a reduction of Latin tantus "so great", which is tam "so" with the suffix -tus. The same root, t- picked up a Slavic suffix which led to Russian tak "so". Now, Old French amonter "to amount" (currently monter in French) came from amont "upward", a derivation of the Latin phrase ad montem "(up) to the hill". The root of the Latin word for "hill" or "mountain", mont-, originally referred to a jutting part of the body, for it also shows up in mentum "chin". (Running Gianni Tamburini's suggestion of today's Good Word is tantamount to thanking him but we would like to say it explicitly: Thanks, Gianni!)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Cacasenno
Lexiterian

Postby Cacasenno » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:25 pm

It is always an honor for me Dr. Good :) :)
I keep peeping in the Agora from time to time but this is the max I can do for now (*). Albeit mutilated, the pleasantry of these visits is always with me, though.

(*) Sunshine and sailing must have something to do with it :wink:

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Re: TANTAMOUNT

Postby sluggo » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:47 pm

...This word is generally used in situations involving a causal relation, so that if A is tantamount to B, A could lead to B: "Felix's spotty attendance record at board meetings was tantamount to submitting his resignation." ...
The way I've always understood, it was closer to meaning an equivalent in the present rather than future: "his actions were tantamount to treason" (his actions amounted to treason). Or so I thought...?
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:11 pm

Well in point of fact, the examples given were in the present tense and the past tense.
...his actions are tantamount to a crime...
Felix's spotty attendance record at board meetings was tantamount to submitting his resignation.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:56 pm

not quite what I mean about present and future- both the Doctor's examples of the crime and the tattoo would seem to mean equivalence; Felix's attendance may or may not.

In the first two examples:

his actions = a crime
car keys + money = permission

-both indicate a fait accompli, not A could lead to B soon, but rather A means B now. This seems at variance with Doc's definition A could lead to B, since by that definition A might also not lead to B at all.

The way I read it, only the Felix example (possibly) satisfies the definition as given, but I have always understood tantamount the way the Norman definition goes: a present equivalent rather than a future progression. So I see a conflict here. I've always understood tantamount the way it's used in the examples (A amounts to B) rather than a statement of indefinite future (A may or may not lead to B).
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Return to “Good Word Discussion”