SEGUE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

SEGUE

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:54 pm

• segue •

Pronunciation: seg-wayHear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, intransitive

Meaning: To transition directly from one part or section to another without any intermediate steps.

Notes: A decade or two ago this word was the rage in academic circles. One did not transition from one topic to another but segued across topics. Today it remains a part of the general vocabulary that we all may use in place of transition. It also serves just as well as a noun, as in an unexpected segue to another topic.

In Play: A segue is a direct, often sudden, shift from one topic to another: "We were talking about washing the car; how did we segue into a discussion of compensation?" Segues can occur on a larger scale, too: "Hardy Belcher's life quickly segued into a morass of gluttony when he inherited his father's money."

Word History: Today's Good Word is the 3rd person singular present tense of the Italian verb seguire "to follow", segue "he/she/it follows". Italian inherited this verb from Latin sequi "to follow". It underlies a host of words referring to following that English borrowed from Latin and its daughters, the Romance languages. These include an earlier Good Word, sequacious, as well as sequence, persecute, and suit, as in "to follow suit". Even the ordinal number following the first one, second, comes from this root. (Time for us now to segue into an expression of appreciation to Robert Fitzgerald for suggesting today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:02 am

Nice to hear the etymology. Segué is an absolutely vital term in radio where (I'd think) it gets its primary use as the transition between songs- at least in those vanishing studios actually inhabited by a human. Pathetically most of what we can hear today is a computer prearrangement, with all the predictable passion of the same kind of marriage :cry:

I suspect the same underlying reasons have excised the longstanding accent -of which Doc makes no mention. Was there no French intermediary?

Of many instances, I recall one time I slipped on an album cover and nearly broke my arm scrambling to get the record that would make the perfect segué out of the one that was about to end in ten seconds (made it though) :D
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:52 pm

Pathetically most of what we can hear today is a computer prearrangement, with all the predictable passion of the same kind of marriage
That is why WNCW (listen online at http://www.wncw.org prides itself on "radio made from scratch".
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:13 pm

... I suspect the same underlying reasons have excised the longstanding accent -of which Doc makes no mention. Was there no French intermediary?
Well, he did say it came from Italian, not French. My copy of Websters, which is as old as my Federal career, also says it comes from Italian, Vulgar Latin, and Latin, with nary a word nor even an abbreviation about "la langue française." Perhaps the "accent aigu" was first used by someone trying to appear "cultured" or "educated" by making people think it was a French word? An "e" with an acute accent is used in Italian only if the "e" at the end of the word is accented, according to Wikipedia. Surely our Tuscan correspondent can shed some light on this the next time the Great Internet Carrier Pigeon flies over his portion of Northern Italy. :)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:35 am

Perhaps the "accent aigu" was first used by someone trying to appear "cultured" or "educated" by making people think it was a French word? An "e" with an acute accent is used in Italian only if the "e" at the end of the word is accented, according to Wikipedia...
Aye, I'm aware of that, but until now every time I've seen the word (which in 23 years of radio adds up to quite a few), it's had an accent. Absent a French connection I would think we Anglophones must have consciously installed it so that it didn't become "seeg" or "se-goo" -which after all is what it would look like without it.

Or is this a repartée of naïveté? :roll:

@Perry: I actually have a better signal for WNCW here in the mts. I must insert that their scratch is scratched when they go to that deplorable canned Whirled Crappé show (<<another accent!!)
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Return to “Good Word Discussion”