SATURNINE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

SATURNINE

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:29 pm

• saturnine •

Pronunciation: sæt-êr-nainHear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Having the humor or personality of someone born under the influence of the planet Saturn: depressed, gloomy, pessimistic, and a bit grumpy. 2. Containing or otherwise related to lead (see Word History).

Notes: Although the noun from which today's Good Word is derived, Saturn, is always capitalized, this adjective is not. It does come replete with an adverb, saturninely, and a noun, saturninity.

In Play: Today's word usually refers to a humor that we cannot escape: "That saturnine old goat, Willis Mile, doesn't even return a civil greeting in the morning." It can, however, be a passing mood caused by an unexpected event: "Gladys Dunn has been a bit saturnine since her boyfriend left her for the weight-lifter, but she still gets her work done."

Word History: Today's Good Word is an adjective made from the proper noun Saturn, taken from the name of the Latin god, Saturnus. Saturnus is another word of mysterious Etruscan origin (see histrionics for another). The god Saturn is one of the oldest Roman gods, the god of agriculture and harvests. The second and most massive planet and the seventh day of the English week, Saturday, are named after him. In the Middle Ages Saturn became the technical name for lead. It was a time when 'sugar of Saturn' (white lead oxide) was sometimes added as a sweetener to the wine drunk from pewter cups. Saturnism remains a word for lead poisoning today. (We hope that today's very Good Word from James Stemwedel has chased away any saturnine inclinations you might have had today.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Re: SATURNINE

Postby sluggo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:04 am

Having the humor or personality of someone born under the influence of the planet Saturn
That would be Capricorn if you're scoring at home
(or even if you're alone) :mrgreen:

Doc left a sly hint of this with the phrase saturnine old goat (although astrologically, redundant)

see also jovial and mercurial; not so much venutial, lunial, martial, uranian, neptunine or plutonic
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:12 am

Having the humor or personality of someone born under the influence of the planet Saturn: depressed, gloomy, pessimistic, and a bit grumpy.
Speaking as a dyed in the wool Capricorn, I resent these characteristics being attributed our astrological group. In fact it makes me darn grumpy, and somewhat depressed to know that this is what you folks think of me. :wink:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:05 am

What Doc left out is that it also gives us sparklinlgly dry senses of humor. Or so I've been lead to believe.

I keep mine bottled up. Can't trifle with tradition.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:18 am

Indeed. And as it should be.

I like my champagne brüt and my wine and humor dry!
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:52 am

see also jovial and mercurial; not so much venutial, lunial, martial, uranian, neptunine or plutonic
I think you can move martial to the left of the semicolon.

And I had a plutonic relationship once: his temper was always erupting over something... :wink:

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:42 pm

I keep mine bottled up. Can't trifle with tradition
sort of dry fishing?

mb

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:26 pm

... And I had a plutonic relationship once: his temper was always erupting over something... :wink:
Erupting would be volcanic; blowing up would be plutonic. Either one is hard to mitigate and can lead to a catastrophe.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:57 pm

I think you can move martial to the left of the semicolon.
Commonly used adjective to be sure but not afaik to describe personalities (?)

Of curse, one was tempted to include lunatic but for its unfortunate negative connotations, besides being a noun (what is the adjective then?). So it'd seem the standard personal adjectives are limited to the Saturn, Mercury and Jupiter people, though one of the delightful practicalities of our tongue is that we can invent plutonic and be understood.
I had a plutonic relationship once: his temper was always erupting over something... :wink:
Erupting would be volcanic; blowing up would be plutonic.
Indeed there was (is?) a school of astrological thought using Vulcan (and for that matter, Lilith) for planetary influences.

I had one of those too, and haven't we all. Better platonic than plutonic (sorry, pooch!)

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:15 am

So it'd seem the standard personal adjectives are limited to the Saturn, Mercury and Jupiter people,
Does sunny qualify for that list? :idea:

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:11 pm

Does sunny qualify for that list? :idea:
:D I'd have to say it do, by Jove!

Return to “Good Word Discussion”