YEOMAN

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

YEOMAN

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:30 pm

• yeoman •

Pronunciation: yo-mên • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. An attendant, subordinate, or lesser official, especially in a royal household, as a yeoman of the guard, also known as "Beefeaters". 2. A clerical officer in the US Navy. 3. A dependable, competent, hard-working person.

Notes: Until recently, female yeomen were referred to sometimes as yeomanettes, sometimes as yeowomen. Since 2007, when Moira Cameron became the first female yeoman to serve at the Tower of London, yeowoman seems to have taken precedence.

In Play: In the US today this word is used most often in the Navy: "Steve O'Dore likes to be called 'Captain Steve' because he once served in the navy—as a yeoman." Outside the navy, it is widely used in the third sense above: "You can always depend on Fowler Fairweather to do the yeoman's job at anything he is asked to do."

Word History: Today's Good Word is another one of those rarities in English: a word that has always been English. In Middle English it was yoman, probably a reduced form of yongman, a variant of youngman, used at one time to designate an attendant or servant. Young is related to Latin iuvenis "young", source of English juvenile, as we mentioned in our treatment of Juneteenth. Man, referring to a human rather than a hand (as in [b]man[/b]ual), is found in Sanskrit manuh "man", but turns up mostly in Germanic languages. A variant of man occurs in German Mensch "man, person", which has entered English via Yiddish in the sense of "decent person". (We can always depend on our long-time friend Alan Janesh to do the yeoman's job in flushing up Good Words like today's.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

hplar
Junior Lexiterian

Postby hplar » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:50 pm

In the word history of yeoman you touched on something about which I have always been curious. What is the etymology of the suffix -man? Was it originally gender specific (male) or generic (human)?

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:40 pm

I dunno, but there have been times I could swear that "woman" is short for "Woe unto thee, O Man!"

Stargzer ducks the brickbats ...
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:59 pm

Geezer, I believe I heard Mrs. Geezer say the same. that men are woe for her.

mb

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:55 pm

Stargzer ducks the brickbats ...
I've wondered about the reasoning behind brickbat; pity it isn't like ball bat or a cricket bat, a defensive rather than offensive weapon.

:)

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:05 pm

yeah who bats bricks or having a bat made from brick, wel it's just plain silly.

mark bats-in-the-brickyard Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Return to “Good Word Discussion”