TURPITUDE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

TURPITUDE

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:06 am

• turpitude •

Pronunciation: têr-pê-tyud • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass (no plural)

Meaning: Moral degeneracy, depravity.

Notes: If you need the sense of this word in an adjective, turpitudinous is the one you want. You may add the suffix -ly to use it as an adverb.

In Play: To lose tenure at a US university, you must be found guilty of "moral turpitude". Since this phrase is redundant, however, scholars have explored the world for other types of possible turpitude: "Despite having tenure, Seamus Allgood was dismissed from the university for intellectual turpitude". (I credit this phrase to John Barth, who used it, I think first, in his 1966 novel about academia, Giles Goat-Boy.) Without a modifier, turpitude always refers to moral decay: "We see a swelling wave of turpitude in society today, and far too many people trying to surf it."

Word History: Today's Good Word comes to us via French from Latin turpitudo "ugliness, deformity; turpitude", a noun based on turpis "ugly, filthy". We can see the semantic trail of this word, which seems to lead from "deformity" to "ugliness" to "moral ugliness". The fact that the word once meant "deformity", suggests that it might be related to a little used Latin verb, trepid "it turns", and may have originally meant "twisted". But this is mostly speculation. We do know that turpitude is no relation of turpentine. That word came to English from Old French terebentine, the natural descendant of Latin terebinthina. This word refers to the tree whose resin originally produced turpentine, the terebinth tree.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: TURPITUDE

Postby Stargzer » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:42 am

• turpitude •
... "Despite having tenure, Seamus Allgood was dismissed from the university for intellectual turpitude". (I credit this phrase to John Barth, who used it, I think first, in his 1966 novel about academia, Giles Goat-Boy.)
Seamus must have forgotten to footnote ...

Without a modifier, turpitude always refers to moral decay: "We see a swelling wave of turpitude in society today, and far too many people trying to surf it."
Now THAT'S a great turn of phrase! Wahine ahoy! :twisted: Now where'd my Tiki get off to ... ?

... The fact that the word once meant "deformity", suggests that it might be related to a little used Latin verb, trepid "it turns", and may have originally meant "twisted". But this is mostly speculation. ...
Trepid, meaning timid (the opposite of intrepid), comes from trepidus, anxious.
trepidation
1605, from L. trepidationem (nom. trepidatio) "agitation, alarm, trembling," noun of action from pp. stem of trepidare "to tremble, hurry," from trepidus "alarmed, scared," from PIE *trep- "to shake, tremble" (cf. Skt. trprah "hasty," O.C.S. trepetati "to tremble"), related to *trem- (see tremble).

intrepid

1627 (implied in intrepidness), from L. intrepidus "unshaken, undaunted," from in- "not" + trepidus "alarmed."
... the terebinth tree.
As opposed to the Terabithia tree ...
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Discussion”