Ajar

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Ajar

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:24 pm

• ajar •

Pronunciation: ê-jahrHear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective, Defective

Meaning: 1. Slightly open (door, window). 2. Disconnected, at odds, out of kilter.

Notes: Today's Good Word is what I call in my scholarly research "defective adjectives". I gave them that name (no one else had bothered to name them) because in phrases like, "The door is ajar", they behave like adjectives but just barely; you cannot speak of the ajar door nor derive nouns like ajarness or adverbs like ajarly from them, as you can from normal adjectives. There are hundreds of these adjectives and we create more every day: aloft, atwitter, afloat, aboard, aground and afire, are just a sampling.

In Play: I notice that US dictionaries only list the first meaning of today's Good Word: "Last Thanksgiving Lydia Potts left the door ajar as she was baking the turkey and the aroma enticed all the neighborhood dogs to the table." I hope the turkey survived for the meal. The second meaning is about to be shaken loose; let's not let that happen: "Andover Hand is so ajar with the world that he thought he could climb Mount Everest and be home in a week."

Word History: This word originally contained two constituents, a "on, at" + char (or chare) "a turn, to turn", a relative of Modern German kehren "to turn". When English went through its French-gobbling period, it chose French tourner for this meaning, shortening it to turn and turning its back on char. But remnants of char remain. The phrase a char "on (a) turn" became the adjective ajar. In fact, many phrases with the old preposition a "on" went the same way, giving us all those odd little adjectives mentioned above in the Notes. Char itself assumed the sense of "a turn of work" and stayed on in words like charwoman. By itself it slipped quietly into chore. Maybe that is why those who think that closing the door is a chore, leave it ajar. Maybe not. (We must thank Kathleen of Norway, who isn't in the least ajar with alphaDictionary, for leading us into all the twists and turns of today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:03 pm

I suppose the follow-up to ajar will be adore ...
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:39 pm

So, when is a door not a door?

When it's ajar!

Har, Har!
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:57 pm

:D

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:06 am

This is not a jar.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:07 am

In the words of the great Pat Paulson: Picky, Picky, Picky.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

engineer27
Junior Lexiterian

Postby engineer27 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:16 am

(image deleted)

This is not a jar.
Reference to Magritte? You should have said it in French. (N'est Pas une Jarre)

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:56 am

Yes it was, in which case it should have been, "c'est ne pas une jarre".
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:47 pm

Or is it "Ce n'est pas une jarre."
"It is not an earthenware jar."
It is not an earthenware door that is not tightly closed.
Ce n'est pas une porte de poterie de terre qui n'est pas étroitement fermée.
Alas, English puns don't translate into French:
This is not a jar.

This is not ajar.

Ce n'est pas une fiole.

Ce n'est pas entrebâillé.
[Now that we've beaten that horse to death maybe it'll end up on a French menu. Just so long as it's not an American Mustang. It's kind of hard to carve up sheet metal, cast iron, and rubber.]
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:24 am

I think that you are right Gzer. My spoken French is way better than my written French.
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Discussion”