DISQUISITION

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

DISQUISITION

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:41 pm

• disquisition •

Pronunciation: dis-kwê-zi-shên • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A diligent investigation, a thorough piece of research. 2. An elaborate analytical essay or a detailed treatise on a research project.

Notes: Today's Good Word comes from a very old and distinguished family of words; so old, in fact, many are now long deceased. The verb underlying this word was disquire "investigate thoroughly". Some of its other offspring, living or not, are disquisitor, someone who carries out thorough research, and the adjectives disquisitive, disquisitory, and disquisitional. The only one of these my spellchecker likes is disquisition itself, but then my spellchecker is very young.

In Play: The original meaning of today's word refers to thorough research: "Before we purchase the accounting firm of Cook, Books & Hyde, Hadley, I would like you to conduct a disquisition of the company and its business practices." However, it is more often used to refer to long, detailed reports today: "Sterling, when I asked for a run-down of the team's weaknesses, I didn't want a disquisition on the history of football."

Word History: Today's is another word lifted from Latin. This time the victim is disquisitio(n) "investigation". This word is the noun from disquirere "to investigate", made up of dis- "separately, one by one" + quaerere "to seek, look for". The past participle of quaerere was at one time quaestus, the root of quaestio(n) "search, inquiry" and the source of English question. The reduced form of this root, quir- is found in several English verbs, including inquire, require, and acquire. (The instigator of our little disquisition on disquisition today was Lew Jury, the source of many other very Good Words.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:59 am

Better a disquisition than an inquisition. (Presumably, less racks and burnings at the stake.)
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:29 am

Better a disquisition than an inquisition. (Presumably, less racks and burnings at the stake.)
Perry, were you tired when writing this one? I've always been taught that count nouns, like racks and burnings at the stake, take the comparative "fewer." Or have grocery store express lanes changed all that?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:11 pm

Well, he could have meant less as in minus, i. e., no racks, et cetera.

8)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:39 pm

I probably shoulc have kept to the simple, "no racks or burnings at the stake".

I don't like to burning steaks either. I am a medium rare sort of chap.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:35 pm

Rare. Send the cow on down the aisle and I'll rip off a chunk as she goes by.

:wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:21 pm

Perry, were you tired when writing this one? I've always been taught that count nouns, like racks and burnings at the stake, take the comparative "fewer." Or have grocery store express lanes changed all that?

Nobody
expects to be panned in this "disquisition"!
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Return to “Good Word Discussion”