Picnic

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Picnic

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:19 pm

• picnic •

Pronunciation: pik-nik • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A reposeful repast in the open air, an outdoor meal. 2. Something that is easy and pleasant to do.

Notes: We need to keep in mind that today's Good Word changes shape when suffixes are attached. It may be used as a verb but English suffixes beginning on a vowel cannot be directly attached to a final C; we must always buffer that letter with a K: picnics but picnicked, picnicking and picknicker. Picnickers are those who engage in picnickery. Picnickery also refers to the various items and utensils used on a picnic.

In Play: The problem with picnics is that they are held outside in places that must be shared with other species: "When Frank Furter's hotdog unexpectedly shot out of its bun and disappeared into the hole in the tree trunk, a swarm of bees flew out and ruined the family picnic." Still, most people think of picnics as extremely pleasurable, accounting for its second meaning above: "Coming up with a strong marketing campaign for powdered water is not going to be a picnic, Gerald." Let's all get in one more picnic before summer ends.

Word History: Today's happy little word was absorbed from French pique-nique and then subjected to spelling simplification. The original meaning was a meal to which all participants contribute equally. In English, however, it took on the meaning of an outdoor meal. The French word came from the verb piquer "to stick, jab, puncture", which apparently meant "to pick" at one time, as in piquer dans le plat "pick (things) out of the dish". The nique is a rhyme element that makes pique-nique a rhyming compound. Nothing more is known about it, though it has spread across Europe with the English meaning: German Picknick, Swedish picknick, Greek and Russian piknik, and others all share it. (We are so grateful to Jackie Strauss for suggesting today's word that we hope her whole life is a picnic.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:07 pm

I like the word "picknickery" but my spellchecker doesn't!
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
http://www.feelgoodromance.com

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:31 pm

That's a good thing. Ants, being so methodical, probably use spell-check. If we announce picknickery is in the offing, rather than picnic, they might be fooled into staying at home. :wink:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:49 am

My question is, why do we add two k's to some forms, and only 1 to others? My spell-check likes them without the first k.

Picnicked, but picknickers.

Picnicking, but picknickery.

Also, wouldn't picknickers be British English for buying underclothes?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Cacasenno
Lexiterian

Postby Cacasenno » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:39 pm

Also, wouldn't picknickers be British English for buying underclothes?

Ab-solutely :)

Cacasenno
Lexiterian

Postby Cacasenno » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:42 pm

Me no pik nik.
Me quite appy vit mi on name, tang you

Very truly yours,
Elamkulam Manakkal Sankaran Namboodiripad
Madras, India

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:15 am

I like the word "picknickery" but my spellchecker doesn't!
It's just being persnickety. :roll:
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Return to “Good Word Discussion”