JITTER

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

JITTER

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:41 pm

• jitter •

Pronunciation: ji-dêr • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: 1. To vibrate, to move rapidly back and forth, to tremble, shake. 2. To act nervously or cause someone to act nervously.

Notes: Then noun from this verb is usually used in the plural: the jitters, as to get the jitters before singing a solo. The adjective is jittery. For some reason English speakers take nervousness before a big event to be funny, for we give that state funny names like the jitters, the willies, the heebie-jeebies. The jitters is the most normal of the lot.

In Play: Rather than focusing on the obvious, the noun jitters, let's examine some ways to use the verb: "I jitter the whole month of April: before and after I file my taxes." The verb jitter may be replaced by the more common idiom, "get the jitters". But we can use this verb transitively, too: "Wendy thought she could jitter me by asking for a divorce for Christmas. I told her I couldn't afford anything that expensive."

Word History: No one knows where this word comes from—or are too jittery to say. Since it is associated with a vibrating action such as trembling in fear, we aren't surprised to see it in the word for the fast, nervous dance called the jitterbug. In this word, though, it is far from home. It probably began as a variant of chitter, itself a variant of chatter. Both of these words refer to the short, rapid movement of the teeth in cold weather, the twittering of birds, or the fast, rapid movement of the mouth when people verbally chatter. Those are the dots; unfortunately, no one can connect them with lines of evidence. (We are glad that Larry Brady, the Alpha Agora's Stargazer, doesn't jitter at the thought of suggesting funny little Good Words like today's.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

engineer27
Junior Lexiterian

"jitter" in engineering is very specific

Postby engineer27 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:26 pm

It seems the usage of "jitter" as a singular noun is owned by electronics engineers. But the definition is usually understood as much more specific than the very general definition provided by onelook:

noun: small rapid variations in a waveform resulting from fluctuations in the voltage supply or mechanical vibrations or other sources

Rather, jitter is defined as the variation from perfect periodicity of a nearly periodic waveform, generally measured in units of seconds and averaged over a given time period (or number of cycles).

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:22 am

Whereas with the jitterbug dance, you have large rapid variations in a danceform resulting from fluctuations in the voltage supply in the brain and to the nerves of the long muscles.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

engineer27
Junior Lexiterian

Postby engineer27 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:52 am

Certainly, dancing is by nature quasiperiodic. However; whereas in electronics, jitter is generally unwanted and we try to minimize it, in dance it is actually desirable.

I am not sure that anyone has attempted to quantify the jitter of a "flapper" in action.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:22 am

I am not sure that anyone has attempted to quantify the jitter of a "flapper" in action.
Thank goodness! Some things are meant to be observed, not quantified. Dilbert would attempt to quantify it, while my personal idol, Wally, would try to convince the Pointy-haired Boss that he was leading a project to download images of flappers in action on company time to test network bandwidth limits and PC load capacity.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

engineer27
Junior Lexiterian

Postby engineer27 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:03 am

Wally, would try to convince the Pointy-haired Boss that he was leading a project to download images of flappers in action on company time to test network bandwidth limits and PC load capacity.
Hey, that could work!

Return to “Good Word Discussion”