PILLAGE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

PILLAGE

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:17 pm

• pillage •

Pronunciation: pi-lêj • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, transitive

Meaning: To loot on a grand scale, to plunder, to take forcibly as spoils of war.

Notes: This bad Good Word has only a few relatives: the agent noun, pillager and a regular process noun, pillaging, which can double as an adjective (the pillaging hordes). Just remember that the backbone of this word is a double L, not a single.

In Play: I suppose we should begin with a reference to one of the legendary pillagers: "The Mongol-Tatar armies of Genghis Khan would as soon pillage a village as straddle a saddle." They did both very well: according to historians, they could stay in their saddles for four days on a diet of mare's milk and horse blood. We might think that we are lucky to avoid pillage, but the corporate raiders of the 80s and 90s pillaged, in a real sense, several US airlines and a few other companies.

Word History: Sometimes we find a word that knocked another out of the language. Today's word comes from an older verb, to pill, with the same meaning as to pillage. Apparently, this word was ousted by the noun (a) pill in an attempt to avoid confusion. Anyway, the older verb to pill came from Old French piller "to plunder", a verb from Vulgar (street) Latin pilare "to depilate (deprive of hair), shave, scalp, pillage". This verb came from the noun pilus "hair", poil today in French; pelo in Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish. A variation of the verb to pill, to peel, has remained with a variant meaning not totally unrelated to scalping.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:18 pm

Every time I arrange for my monthly bill-pays and notice the money that isn't left over, I feel like (or as if - see other thread) my bank account has been pillaged.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:30 pm

If there were a medieval loan shark, would he be the village pillager?

No--wait! Usury was illegal. The Village Pillager must have been the local Lord or Baron!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:21 pm

Gee, I thought this word was about the era in which we live; the one based on drugs and medication; the pill age.

Oops, guess I were wrong.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:13 am

:roll:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:22 pm

Then there was the Viking who had a hard time learning how to plunder. He was known as the Pillage Idiot.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Discussion”