DESICCATE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

DESICCATE

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:56 pm

• desiccate •

Pronunciation: de-sê-kayt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: 1. To dry out completely or cause to dry out. 2. Draw the life or vitality from, make dull and uninteresting.

Notes: The trick in spelling today's word is in remembering to double the C and not the S. Once we master this trick, we can then use today's verb as an adjective meaning the same as desiccated if only we pronounce the final syllable slightly differently, [de-sê-kêt], as a desiccate (dried) fig. It has produced a large family: desiccation is the process. A machine for drying is a desiccator while a drying agent such as is used in camera cases and with certain medicines that must be kept dry is a desiccant.

In Play: Any time liquid is withdrawn from something leaving it dry, that object is desiccated (or dessicate): "If you desiccate a plum, you have a prune—the same applies to jobs." However, withdrawing the life juices from anything, even metaphorically, is also desiccation: "Lyda Cain can desiccate the liveliest of parties with her persistent droning about herself."

Word History: Today's word comes from Latin disiccatus "dried", the past participle of desiccare "to dry up", composed of de- "from, off" + siccare "to dry", a verb derived from siccus "dry". Siccus also underlies siccative "drying, drying agent" and is related to Greek ischnos "dry, withered", Sanskrit sincati "makes dry", and Russian sukhoi "dry". Siccus went on to become Portuguese and Spanish seco, and French sec "dry", as in un champagne sec "a dry champagne". (We hope that suggestions like today's Good Word from Ira Lourie do not dry up.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:51 am

Can we upgrade our insults, too?

Oh, why don't you desiccate?

Then, in a friendly family way,

"Kids, time for dinner. Get out of the pool and desiccate yourselves and come eat."

"My old one died, so I have to get myself a new hair desiccator."
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:13 pm

"My old one died, so I have to get myself a new hair desiccator."
That reminds me of a SciFi story from my youth (I think it was by A. E. von Vogt) in which the pilot "depilated" in the morning instead of shaving. :)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Discussion”