Effete

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Effete

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:26 pm

• effete •

Pronunciation: i-feetHear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Wimpy, ineffective, sapped of strength, vitality or efficacy, exhausted. 2. Overly refined, too civil, effeminate. 3. Infertile, incapable of reproducing.

Notes: The most famous usage of this word in the US was former Vice President Spiro Agnew's depiction of the student anti-war protesters of the 60s as "effete intellectual snobs." Agnew later resigned his office but not for this gratuitous potshot. The adjective has an adverb, effetely, and a noun, effeteness.

In Play: Governments may be effete: "When revolutionaries asked Russian Tsar Nicholas II to abandon the throne in 1917, his regime had become so effete that he did so without resistance." People may be effete: "Mark Downs has become such an effete salesman that he has only closed one deal this month." Even dogs become effete, especially late in life: "My old dog Wimpy has become so effete that he doesn't even wag his tail when I call him any more."

Word History: Today's Good Word is the English makeover of Latin effetus "worn out, exhausted", consisting of ex- "out of" + fetus "filled with young, pregnant". The original reference was to the condition of a woman who had just delivered a child. The Proto-Indo-European (PIE) root of fetus was *dhe- which, suffixed with -t, became fetus. Suffixed with -n it provided the root of fawn. This word came down from Old French feon "young animal," a reduction of Vulgar Latin feton-, a form of Latin fetus. Fetus later came to mean "offspring" in Late Latin but was borrowed into English with its current meaning. Suffixed with -m and -n, the same PIE root developed into Latin femina "woman", the word from which French féminin(e) was made before it became femme "woman".
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: EFFETE

Postby Slava » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:48 pm

I find it intriguing that the idea of being too civil is equated with being effeminate. Can anyone come up with a possible explanation or example to illustrate the connection?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: EFFETE

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:19 am

I'm pretty sure I first ran into the word "effete" while in the sixth grade in Ft Worth, "where the west begins." It was a blurb using that motto that referred to people from Dallas as from the effete east.
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”