Ineffable

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Ineffable

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:05 am

• ineffable •

Pronunciation: in-ef-ê-bêl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Indescribable, that cannot be expressed in words. 2. Unspeakable, forbidden to be spoken, as the ineffable name of God.

Notes: Today's word is the negation of effable "utterable, pronounceable", which has slumped into disuse. The reason seems clear: all the words and sounds we utter are utterable, hence effable, so when would we need the word? It is the unutterable words like floccinaucinihilipilification for which we need a descriptive term. Since we avoid such terms, we seldom need words like ineffable. That is why its meaning has changed to either "indescribable" or "forbidden to be spoken".

In Play: This word is more often used to describe the indescribable, rather than the unspeakable: "Frieda Livery has an ineffable je-ne-sais-quoi about her that attracts men like moths to a candle." It can, however, still be used in that sense: "Since he accidentally scored the winning goal for the opposition, his name has become ineffable; they just refer to him as 'H' down in the athletic department."

Word History: Today's Good Word comes via Old French from Latin ineffabilis "unutterable", an adjective based on the prefix in- "not" + ex "out of" + fari "to speak". The past participle of fari is fatum, whose meaning migrated from "spoken" to "prophecy" to "doom" as it became Old French fat. We then borrowed it as fate. Fari also lies at the bottom of fabula "story (something spoken)", which the French compacted into fable before lending it to us. The present participle, fan(t)s, turns up in infan(t)s "not speaking", which English also borrowed from French, this time as infant. (Well, our gratitude to Katy Brezger for suggesting today's Good Word is not ineffable: thank you, Katy.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: INEFFABLE

Postby Slava » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:20 pm

Is calling the loser "H" because of what's known as a home goal, or is there something else there I'm missing?

While effable may well be a perfectly good word, I can easily see how it could be mistaken or misused, as anile.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Re: INEFFABLE

Postby misterdoe » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:40 pm

Is calling the loser "H" because of what's known as a home goal, or is there something else there I'm missing?
I figured it was an initial. :?

Return to “Good Word Discussion”