Bowdlerize

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: BOWDLERIZE

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:01 pm

Luke: Dump those old movies and get to work. It is about time you started writing your memoirs, is it not?
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:06 pm

Memoirs???
I would not know where to begin.
I know the kids I used to teach way before the Dark Ages,
used to consider me pre-historic. I agreed and told them
I knew for certain the dinosaurs were killed by an
asteroid hitting the planet, because I saw it: I was
hiding in the back of a cave.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:17 am

I knew for certain the dinosaurs were killed by an asteroid hitting the planet, because I saw it: I was hiding in the back of a cave.
Great comeback and wonderful quip. :lol: Definitely deserves a laugh.

As to the GWotD itself, does anyone know an anti- of bowdlerize? A word that would mean to make racier or more explicit?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:26 am

A phrase, not a word:

spice something up

1. Lit. to make some food or drink more spicy. Judy spiced the cider up by adding cinnamon and nutmeg. she spiced up the chili too much.
2. Fig. to make something more interesting, lively, or sexy. I'm afraid that the nude scenes spiced the musical up too much. some people walked out. Judy liked to spice her lectures up by telling jokes. she spiced up each lecture with a joke. They spiced up the play too much.

(http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/spice+up)
Last edited by MTC on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:27 am

I knew for certain the dinosaurs were killed by an asteroid hitting the planet, because I saw it: I was hiding in the back of a cave.
Great comeback and wonderful quip. :lol: Definitely deserves a laugh.

As to the GWotD itself, does anyone know an anti- of bowdlerize? A word that would mean to make racier or more explicit?
An interesting question. Looking at the thesaurus there are no listed antonyms, but the antonyms for the synonym 'mutilate' are the more mundane 'mend, repair, fix' or for expurgate 'allow, permit'. I can't really go for them, though permit works for the censor aspect of bowdlerize.

One word I might posit would be vivify. It's not exactly right in my mind but perhaps close enough for some purposes. You could use debauch for a slightly different sense.
Iain

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:02 am

Slava, I looked at a bunch of thesauruses and could not find an antonym I felt adequate. There's words like "suitable", "permit" and "okay" but somehow they felt pretty soft. I like a challenge and will keep looking.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

brogine
Lexiterian

Postby brogine » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:31 pm

On the off-chance that this will ever be seen . . .

I once saw an ‘edited-for-television’ opus. This guy receives some
life-shattering news . . . “Gosh darn it!”

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Re: Bowlerize

Postby George Kovac » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:44 pm

I once saw an ‘edited-for-television’ opus. This guy receives some
life-shattering news . . . “Gosh darn it!”

When the movie “ Saturday Night Fever” was released, it was an immense box office success. Several months later, the distributor decided to re-release it, but edited to get a lower rating of “PG” in order to attract an even larger audience. The editing included clever dubbing that (sort of) tracked the actors’ lips in the original dialog. Worst example: The boys play a mean trick on one of the girls. One of the boys suddenly jumps off a high bridge, apparently to his death. The horrified girl rushes to look over edge, only to discover there is a wide lower service platform a few feet below the bridge deck, where the boy is safely standing. All the boys laugh at her—obviously this is a trick they have done before. The angry girl swears an expletive at the boy who jumped—but in the PG version the dubbed phrase is is “You faker!”
"Every battle of ideas is fought on the terrain of language." Zia Haider Rahman, New York Times 4/8/2016

Return to “Good Word Discussion”