AMEN

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: AMEN

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:59 pm

To 'piggyback' on P.Hudson.
WELCOME
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:42 pm

Indeed welcome Paul nice to have another around who deals with Hebrew, perhaps this time with more depth than I have. Keep posting. Amazing how often Hebrew shows up on here.
pl

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:02 pm

First, to Paul, welcome. We appreciate your scholarly depth in Hebrew.

To gailr, if she's still monitoring this thread, here is a link to a discussion on repeated musical phrases: (http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Earworms)
I thought you might be interested in light of (make that "by the sound of") your post.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:37 pm

And now we have ear-worms saying amen! MTC's reference is not about literal earworms. I am familiar with the literal sort as they can infest ears of corn (American corn) making what might be a delightful roasting ear a stomach turner.

I regularly think of a tune or song that repeats itself in my mind for several hours. Later a different tune takes over. This may be attributed to my early exposure to music, since my mother was a soloist and also sang as she did her housework. I am told that I could sing many songs before I was two years old. My great love for music, sacred and secular, has kept a song in my heart for all of my many years. Some of them are actually choral amens. Others run the gamut from ridiculous doggerel songs to the pinnacle of my personal taste, “Panis Angelicus”.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYbmiXtWCas
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:42 pm

Welcome, Paul; I look forward to learning from your posts.

MTC: the pirates I'd been AWOL with have an 'earworms' thread for those who can't get rid of them any other way. Read new posts *there* at your peril! :wink:

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:55 pm

As far as saying welcome to our latest new member and poster, I'll say amen to that!
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:29 pm

Red necks say aae-'mihn! The second syllable is much louder and much shorter than the first and there is always an exclamation mark. It is used to concur with the preacher's sermon and to encourage her/him to preach on. In a very informal setting, someone might urge the speaker with, "Preach on Brother/Sister!" There is a saying about an especially good preacher: “Saying amen to her/him is like saying sicum to a dog.” We have men and women preachers.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”