Quarantine

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Quarantine

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:56 pm

• quarantine •

Pronunciation: kwahr-ên-teen • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass (no plural)

Meaning: A period of enforced isolation for a person, animal, or object suspected of carrying a communicable disease.

Notes: The verb is the same as the noun: "My dog had to be quarantined when I moved from France to the UK." For an adjective, we use the noun attributively: "They built a quarantine facility just outside the port area." Someone or something that has been quarantined is "in quarantine". A disease that makes you liable to quarantine is said to be quarantinable.

In Play: Today's word applies to real diseases and practices we wish we could call diseases: "Don't you wish all habitual liars could be quarantined?" It is easy to deploy today's Good Word metaphorically, too: "Rupert is never invited to these meetings; I think they're trying to quarantine his notions about corporate responsibility."

Word History: The word comes from Venice of the Middle Ages, where ships arriving from areas plagued by the plague were obliged to spend forty days (in Italian, quaranta giorni) at anchor offshore before being permitted to land goods or people. Italian quaranta comes from the Latin quadraginta "forty", related to quadrans "a quarter", and quadra "a square". Here we can see the origins of our words quadrant, quarter, quart, quadrangle, and the square dance called a quadrille. Square itself comes from the Latin ex quadra "from a square" which went on to become exquadrare "to square". A squadron or squad originally referred to a body of soldiers formed into a square, and a quarry is a place where stones are square-cut—all from the same Latin source. (Let's not quarantine Ruth Baldwin of Mönchengladbach, Germany, from the gratitude she so richly deserves for suggesting today's historically fascinating Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Quarantine

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:07 pm

Areas of the US were quarantined during the polio
outbreak in the early 1950's.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:15 pm

I've visited a number ofhospital rooms where I had to "gown up" and don mask and gloves to visit. Both protected me and the patient.
pl

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:02 am

Quarantine blocks more than objects. It blocks ideas, especially the transmission of dangerous democratic pathogens like "human rights" on China's internet. To this end China has erected a "Great Fire Wall" around itself in cyberspace with limited success.
It seems ideas are particularly contagious.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:32 am

Good thought.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:35 pm

We live in an instantaneous world where things happen quickly, e.g. The Arab Spring. I wonder what another twenty years will do to the idea quarantine, as they become aware of the rest of the world.

Read somewhere of a fascinating experiment where a guy put computers chained, but accessible to illiterate neighborhood boys. With NO instructions they figured it out and began to use it intelligently.
pl

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:41 pm

Here's the inspirational story you mentioned, Perry:http://www.hole-in-the-wall.com/Beginnings.html

"Something there is that doesn't love a wall..."

Return to “Good Word Discussion”