Attenuate

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Attenuate

Postby Slava » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:24 pm

The word of the day (12/4):

• attenuate •

Pronunciation: ê-ten-yu-ayt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, transitive

Meaning: 1. To lessen, reduce, or reduce the effect of; to ameliorate. 2. To thin in consistency, reduce density, rarefy.

Notes: One of the adjectives accompanying today's word is spelled identically but is pronounced distinctly: attenuate [ê-ten-yu-êt]. It means "slender, tapered" and "thin in consistency, rarefied". This is a slightly lovelier word than today's Good Word, one that slips easily from our lips. The activity noun is attenuation, of course, and the person or thing that attenuates something is an attenuator.

In Play: You may use this word to politely ask an upstairs neighbor, who is bigger than you, to quieten down: " Rocky, would you please attenuate your music a bit." Otherwise, use it anywhere you might use reduce under more commonplace circumstances. "When June McBride entered the apartment of Phil Anders, she felt uncomfortable with the attenuated lighting and soft, romantic music."

Word History: This word was snitched from Latin attenuatus "enfeebled, weak", the past participle of attenuare "to weaken, lessen, diminish", and adapted to English. This word consists of ad- "(up)to" + tenuare "make thin," from tenuis "thin". It came from Proto-Indo-European ten-/ton- "to stretch, extend", which ended up in English as thin, how stretchable things become when stretched. Tenuous was borrowed from a derivative of tenuare, originally in the sense of "long and thin". It is easy to see how this meaning slipped into "flimsy, weak". Finally, notice that the PIE word had two forms, ten- and ton-. We don't know why they were distinguished, only that we can trace back some words to either of the two forms. The English word tone comes from Greek tonos "string (for a musical instrument)", something else that is stretched.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Attenuate

Postby MTC » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:34 pm

Quidnunc: At-ten-u-ate?
Attenuatus: How did you know!?
Quidnunc: You still look thin.
Attenuatus: Not so dense as I was.
Quidnunc: Stretching it a bit, aren't you?
Attenuatus: Which reminds me, can I borrow a quid?
Quidnunc: Nunc?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:42 pm

You beat me to it. I was going to go for "Attenuate? Well, at least it wasn't a 20."
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:46 am

Traditionally, this is what Bo Derek says to less attractive women.
Iain

Return to “Good Word Discussion”