Formication

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Formication

Postby MTC » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:01 pm

If it has "already been done" as you write, then why did you say
"Thesbian? I know-eth not this word. Didst thou meaneth thespian? Or am I simply lost?" ?
Because its usage is very limited and it is not recognized as a standard word.
It's one thing to say a word's usage is "very limited," and quite another to say you "know-eth not this word" when, in fact, you do. It is one thing to challenge whether a word exists in one post, and inconsistently contend the word already exists in another.

Additionally, when you say "it ("thesbian") is not recognized as a standard word (presumably meaning not in the dictionary)," that doesn't make "thesbian" any less a word. Words remain words whether or not they are in the dictionary, a point linguists and lexicographers are at some pains to make.

Now that I research the word "thesbian," it appears I was a little too quick in giving credit to Mr. Hupy for its creation. Thesbian has existed as a word since at least 1940. See the graph of thesbian's usage at
https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?c ... an%3B%2Cc0 Googling thesbian (a word which requires no quotes in standard usage) results in 28,100 hits. Thesbian is listed in several online sources, e.g., Wikipedia, urban dictionary, Wordnik. There is a "thesbian.com" website for a group of acting troups in multiple cities and over 28,00 other references for those who care to look.

Perhaps you can explain yourself?
Last edited by MTC on Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:02 am

I consider it a nonce word that will not make it into general use. The wikis and urban dictionary have no lasting meaning to me.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:57 am

I consider it a nonce word that will not make it into general use. The wikis and urban dictionary have no lasting meaning to me.

nonce word
n.
A word occurring, invented, or used just for a particular occasion; for example, the word mileconsuming in "the wagon beginning to fall into its slow and mileconsuming clatter" (William Faulkner).

Clearly, "thesbian" is not a "nonce word" as you contend.
Any other explanation for the inconsistencies I pointed out?

Return to “Good Word Discussion”