Interloper

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Interloper

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:05 am

• interloper •

Pronunciation: in-têr-lop-êr • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A busybody, someone or something that interferes in the affairs of others; an intruder, a gate-crasher.

Notes: If you don't like using interferer because you hear it so seldom, today's word is a likely substitute. This word is the personal noun corresponding to the verb interlope "to intrude upon, to interfere". Two action nouns have been attempted over the centuries, interlopery and interlopation, but neither lasted.

In Play: Today's word may refer to any type of intruder: "Phil Ander's affair with June McBride was going well until an interloper by the name of William Arami appeared out of nowhere and swept June off her feet." Gate-crashers are, too, intruders: "The summer garden party was going well when Patti Oh noticed several interlopers amidst the invited guests."

Word History: Interloper was first recorded in connection with the Muscovy Company and East India Company, chartered in 1555 and 1600, respectively. These companies were monopolies, so independent traders, called interlopers, were unwelcome intruders. The term is probably Dutch, the language of one of the great trade rivals of the English at that time. It is made up of Latin inter "between" + Dutch loper "runner", from lopen "run". Lopen is a relative of English lope and leap, which in Old English could refer to running. It is also akin to German laufen "to run". (Now let's thank Maude Frickert, far from an interloper, but a welcome contributor of today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Interloper

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:35 pm

Excellent
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:21 pm

What about "interLauper," I thought, someone who gate crashes
A Cyndi Lauper ("Girls Just Wanna Have Fun") affair? Taken it turns out, but with Cyndi as the "Lauper" at the Grammys:

"BTW I learned later that Cyndi did not win in the best trad blues category--which is actually something of a relief. She was already being perceived as being an interloper (or would that be an "interLauper"?) by some blues die-hards." (Post by a fan)

And there's a race horse, "Interlauper," wouldn't you know. As usual, all the good ones are taken.

But right here at home, a celebrity, Maude Frickert!?
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q08L6POKJsE)

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:55 pm

If you don't like using interferer because you hear it so seldom, today's word is a likely substitute. This word is the personal noun corresponding to the verb interlope "to intrude upon, to interfere".
I like this bit. The noun and verb pairs feed off each other. We don't use interferer, preferring interloper. We don't use interlope, preferring to use interfere.

Go figure.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:07 pm

Look, sorry again! I don't want to discuss 'interloper' (interesting as it is) but I do want to discuss yesterday's word Kith. Kith isn't shown in the list of recent words to discuss. But a site search reveals that the same word with the same analysis was put up in May 2009. Is the etiquette in these circumstances to wade back into the archives and add a note to history? Or can we start again?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:32 pm

Look, sorry again! I don't want to discuss 'interloper' (interesting as it is) but I do want to discuss yesterday's word Kith. Kith isn't shown in the list of recent words to discuss. But a site search reveals that the same word with the same analysis was put up in May 2009. Is the etiquette in these circumstances to wade back into the archives and add a note to history? Or can we start again?
I'd say it's probably best to start anew. I'm often the one to do this, but there is nothing to prevent others from doing it, too. Just find the original, click the quote button, copy the whole thing, and paste it into a new post. Don't forget to put the word in as the subject. Preview is always a good idea here.

Or, if you don't want to do that, send a PM to Dr. Goodword and I'm sure he will oblige.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”