Immure

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Immure

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:38 am

• immure •

Pronunciation: i-myurHear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: 1. To wall something in, to enclose in walls, as to immure a garden to keep the rabbits at bay. 2. To isolate someone by confining them between walls, to imprison. 3. To build or set something in a wall, as to immure a plaque.

Notes: The noun from this verb is immurement, and no one seems to have conjured up an adjective. I suppose you could use immuring as an adjective if you were backed into a corner. Do not confuse immure with inure "to become habituated to, to become hardened by repetition", as to be inured to the heat of the tropics.

In Play: The term "gated community" strikes me as missing the point; today's word would be much more descriptive: "Spaulding was so afraid of the rising tide of thievery, he moved into an immured community that requires identification at the gate to enter." The crime rate might be lower if more parents were a little tougher: "Well, if grounding you for a week doesn't work, we can try immuring you in the basement for a few days!" (A useful empty threat.)

Word History: Today's Good Word comes from Latin immurare "wall in" from in "in" + murus "wall". The root here, mur-, appears in several other English words borrowed from Latin, including mural, intermural, and intramural (between walls) "within an institution" as in intramural sports. The root didn't percolate down to all the Indo-European languages, but it does show up in the Germanic languages as English mere "boundary", found in a word still occasionally encountered, merestone "boundary marker". (We should immure a plaque in a wall at alphaDictionary to commemorate this and all the other Good Words suggested by Mark Bailey over the years.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

eberntson
Lexiterian

Re: Immure

Postby eberntson » Wed May 21, 2014 5:21 pm

So in Poe's story "The Black Cat" we could summarize it thus:

The chat noir was immured,
upon it's release it purred.
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Immure

Postby Slava » Wed May 21, 2014 10:08 pm

I'll stick with a Cask of Amontillado, as long as I don't have to be immured to savor it.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”