Bangs

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Bangs

Postby Slava » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:37 pm

The Good Word for 2/23/14:
• bangs •

Pronunciation: bængz • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A straight cut of hair across the forehead.

Notes: Notes: Although I have only heard this word in the plural throughout my life, the Oxford English Dictionary lists only the singular, offering examples such as this one "The straight dark hair, with its heavy bang across her childish forehead." Why a word referring to hair, a word seldom used in the plural, should have traded over for the plural in the US, is a mystery we will not resolve here. However, remember that singular bang is just as good as plural bangs in this case.

In Play: If you like to stand out in a conversation, try something like this sometime: "Did you hear about Hedda Haire? She fell and received a nasty bang just below her bang." You can cite this Good Word as your source on the singular. If you prefer to go with the flow, stick with expressions like this: "I really get a bang out of your new bangs, Hedda; I think they are a bang-up idea."

Word History: Today's Good Word, believe it or not, began in the British army in the middle of the 19th century when the tails of horses were squarely docked as if shot off with a bang from a gun. This tail-styling eventually made its way to the United States where several bang-tailed horses won races, attracting the attention of hair-stylists. What a great idea! So by the 1920s, slashing the hair in a straight line over the forehead became a rave that has retained much of its momentum until this very day. (If you got a bang out of today's Good Word, we owe a word of thanks to Jackie Strauss for suggesting it.)

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Bangs

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:01 pm

I'm not sure that I get the relationship between Bang, like the sound a gun makes, and bangs as a hairstyle.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Bangs

Postby Slava » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:12 pm

It's there in the History. The style of docking horses' tails in a straight line, as if shot off. Bang!
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”