Warlock

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Warlock

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:27 pm

• warlock •

Pronunciation: wawr-lahk • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A male witch, sorcerer, wizard, or demon.

Notes: Here is a word you don't hear every day. Witch is used often enough as an insult to women, but the male variant of witch doesn't carry the same pejorative connotation as does witch. The abstract noun expressing what warlocks are up to is warlockry "male witchcraft".

In Play: As suggested before, warlock is not a word you meet every day, unless you play video games; even there, warlocks are usually referred to as "wizards": "Warren is a warlock in Dungeons and Dragons and wields a mean Eldritch Blast." Elsewhere you would have to see real magic to think of warlocks: "Damian blew into the door lock, and the door opened as though he were a warlock!" (Well, it does rhyme with door lock.)

Word History: Today's word was warloghe in Middle English, from Old English wærloga "oath-breaker", comprising wær "pledge, oath" + -loga "liar", from leogan "to lie". Wær comes from Proto-Indo-European wer-o- "true, faithful" that we see in Latin verus "true", and Russian vera "belief, faith" and the feminine name Vera, which somehow found its way into English. On its own, it came through the old Germanic languages to English as very. The same word that turned up in Old English as leogan (Modern English lie "to tell an untruth"), retained the G in German lügen and Russian lgat', both meaning "to lie". (It's time now to thank Sara Goldman, whose witchcraft is coming up with verbs like today's magical Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Warlock

Postby call_copse » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:23 am

I am fairly certain I first read this word in the works of CS Lewis perhaps aged 8 or so. I think it took some time and a bit of context to work out what it meant - these days I'd just turn to my phone and look up a word I was unsure of.
Iain

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:00 pm

It was used in some dragon/sorcercery movie
I watched not too long ago, but I forget the
name of it. Merlin, prior to Arthur, was training
a couple young men to be 'warlocks'.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:55 am

One of my cousins married, unbeknownst to him, a witch. I mean the real “double, double toil and trouble; fire burn, and caldron bubble” type. When he walked in on her coven, all nude while boiling eye of newt and wart of toad over a Sterno flame, he was invited to be their warlock with conjugal duties all around. He got the h*** out of Dodge.

Yes, I have so many cousins that I can use one of them to illustrate almost any Goodword.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:09 pm

In one of the Harry Potter movies there is a chorus
of Hogwarts students singing a rendition of the
"double, double toil and trouble; fire burn, and
caldron bubble". It is done quite well.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:58 pm

Sounds like a word a pacifist might coin.
pl

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:12 pm

I have an ex-sister-in-law who came home one day to inform everyone she was now a witch. Frankly, I knew there was something wrong with her from the get-go. Even changed her name to one of the minor dieties in the witch world. To the best of my knowledge, I have never met a warlock or someone who considered themselves a warlock. Seems something akin to satanism in a way.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

Return to “Good Word Discussion”