Blatant

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Blatant

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:47 pm

• blatant •

Pronunciation: blayt-ênt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Done openly and unashamedly, completely obvious, revealing things that should not be revealed. 2. Annoyingly loud, coarse, or out of harmony with others.

Notes: Be careful to remember that today's word does not mean "serious", so it cannot be properly used in phrases like "a blatant matter". It also is not an exact synonym of flagrant. Flagrant implies an openly visible and unexpected act, hiding nothing, as a flagrant disregard of the law or Russia's flagrant aggression against Ukraine. Blatant, on the other hand, implies the revelation of something that is better left secret, for example, blatant misinformation, or a blatant lie. The adverb accompanying today's word is blatantly, and the noun, blatancy.

In Play: Remember that blatant may refer to something offensively loud or outspoken: "Crystal Ball has been a blatant critic of all efforts to regulate palm-reading and fortune-telling in our fair city." A musical instrument may be too blatant if it doesn't blend in with the orchestra. The other meaning of today's word describes the expression of matters best left unsaid, "I was appalled at Mortimer's blatant discussion of our plan to blow up the local TV studio," or "At Noreen's cocktail party Marge blatantly told Ullie that she didn't love him any more."

Word History: Today's Good Word comes from blatan(t)s "blabbering, babbling", the present participle of Latin blatire "to babble, blabber, gossip". That makes it a close cousin of Swedish pladder "chatter, gossip" and, probably, German plappern "babble, rattle on". Russian boltat' "chatter, blabber" and Serbian blebetati "blab, jabber" are also related to today's word. Apparently this word was introduced by Spenser in The Fairie Queene (1596), and used as an epithet of the thousand-tongued monster that was the offspring of Cerberus and Chimæra. Spenser called his monster "the blattant beast", which Spenser intended as a symbol of calumny. (I will now blatantly express my gratitude to Dr. Margie Sved for suggesting today's flagrantly Good Word in the Alpha Agora.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Blatant

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:35 pm

I'm a belieber.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:42 pm

I'm a belieber.
Interesting, I never would have thought that kind of music would appeal to anyone on the Agora. :shock:
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:09 pm

I think he's being ironic.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:39 am

Knowing Luke as we do, it is surely blatant irony.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”