Argus

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Argus

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:53 pm

• argus •

Pronunciation: ahr-gês • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A watchful person, a guard or guardian, a lookout.

Notes: No doubt because of the rarity of its use, today's Good Word is virtually a lexical orphan. Someone on the Web claims that they "argusly monitor national and international news", using a correctly formed adverb that could be used as an adjective, paralleling friendly, manly, and the like. This word has been used in two compounds in the past, argus-eyed and argus-like.

In Play: There is no better guardian of our property than an argus: "Don't worry about the car, dad: I'll keep an argus-eyed watch on it whether I'm in it or not." Of course, this word may be used sarcastically: "My store was robbed while the two arguses I hired to guard it at night were watching TV."

Word History: Today's Good Word is an eponym of Argos, a giant in Greek mythology who had a hundred eyes, no more than two of which were closed at the same time. He was therefore the perfect guard. When he was killed by Hermes, the goddess Hera gave his eyes to her favorite bird, the peacock.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Argus

Postby Slava » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:23 pm

Wasn't Argos also put to sleep in one of the myths? It was so someone could steal a bit of what he was guarding, I believe.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:47 pm

Actually, it was so that what he was guarding, a white cow, could be freed from captivity. Once Argos was asleep, Hermes killed him.
The cow was a concubine of Zeus, Io, and Hera was jealous of her. Hermes, at the bidding of Zeus, foiled Hera's plan to keep them (Zeus and Io) apart.
Everything works out, one way or another

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:41 am

Thanks for the clarification. I used to know most of the myths fairly well, but that was many years ago.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:05 pm

Back before Gannett consolidated all its newspapers in my area, my local paper was called the Daily Argus. :?

Return to “Good Word Discussion”