MUCILAGINOUS

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

MUCILAGINOUS

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:31 pm

• mucilaginous •

Pronunciation: myu-sê--jê-nês • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Thick, soft, slimy, and sticky, in short resembling mucilage, either the vegetable gum or glue. 2. Relating to or secreting mucilage (vegetable gum), as a mucilaginous plant.

Notes: The pronunciation of this Good Word is just as slow and gooey as its definition, making it a perfect fit for its work. Gooey goes by too fast and slimy captures only one of the traits of mucilage. This adjective is built on the noun, mucilage, a slimy, sticky substance exuded by plants or the yellowish glue used in many schools in the US. I used hundreds of bottles of this glue in my formative years and marveled that each of them had mucilage clearly imprinted on them but no one ever uttered the word; it was always just "glue".

In Play: Another reason to use this word is that slimy substances are not cute, but things mucilaginous may be: "The little girl was adorable, even with the little mucilaginous rope dangling from her nose." Don't you think? Some are even tasty: "Willy Leaver wasn't sure if he liked or disliked Melba's cooking until she placed a large bowl of mucilaginous okra in front of him; then he was sure."

Word History: This word came from Old French mucilage, an inheritance from Late Latin mucilago "musty juice". Underlying this word is the verb mucere "to be musty", itself based on mucus "mucus"—as musty as juice gets. Now mucus is a cognate of ancient Greek muxa "mucus" and mussesthai "to blow the nose". In fact, mukter "nostril" is also related. (We have no idea why The Lexiteria's VP for Sales & Marketing, Steve Jones, who always keeps his nose clean, found this word interesting, but we're glad he suggested it.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:52 pm

Now mucus is a cognate of ancient Greek muxa "mucus" and mussesthai "to blow the nose
I thought of Russian муха (mukha - fly, the insect) for a while, which made me think Why in the world would the Italians call the city of Moscow Mosca, which also means fly in Italian/Portuguese/Spanish/Catalan?

Я люблю Москву.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Return to “Good Word Discussion”