Humble

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Humble

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed May 21, 2014 10:59 pm

• humble •

Pronunciation: hêm-bêl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Meek, modest, deferential, submissive, lacking any arrogance or pride, a humble man of faith. 2. Of low quality or rank, unpretentious, as a humble abode or humble origins.

Notes: Most speakers pronounce the initial H on today's Good Word, though not in honor. The rule explaining the different pronunciations of a history versus an historical is that in unaccented syllables the H is dropped. However, in today's word the H appears in an accented syllable, so it should be pronounced. Still, if you are from the US South, you may pronounce today's word umble. It's OK if you do. The noun that fits this adjective is humility.

In Play: You won't find the recipe for humble pie, though you will hear this expression frequently, as in: "If I'm late for work again, I'll have to eat all the humble pie that my boss can dish out." Of course, you can fake humility, but as Golda Meir once famously put it: "Don't be so humble; you're not that great." Today's adjective may be used as a verb, too: "The whole world was humbled by Nelson Mandela's capacity for forgiveness."

Word History: Today's Good Word is Old French humble, pure and simple, the descendant of Latin humilis "lowly, humble", literally "on the ground," from humus "ground, earth". The phrase "to eat humble pie" is actually a misperception of umble pie (1640s), pie made from umbles "edible inner parts of an animal", especially deer and hogs, considered at the time a humiliating, lower class food. Since the H of humble wasn't pronounced at the time, it took over the job of umble. Umbles was in Middle English numbles "offal". The initial N was lost through assimilation into the preceding article: a numble (pie) becoming an umble (pie), following the pattern of a narange (Arabic) becoming an orange and a napron becoming an apron. Have you noticed that a napkin is just a small (n)apron. (We would have to eat humble pie if we forgot to thank Carolyn Mickelson for recommending today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Humble

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu May 22, 2014 12:38 pm

A nearby church has a
'thrift store' which they call "Humble Jumble".
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

saparris
Wordmaster

Postby saparris » Thu May 22, 2014 8:37 pm

Re the "Notes" section, I don't pronounce "historical" with a silent h, and I don't say "an historical event." Nor have I ever ordered an hamburger or an hot dog.

Am I alone in these quirks?
Ars longa, vita brevis

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Fri May 23, 2014 4:04 am

Certainly not with hot hamburgers, nor even when choosing a hotel. But when I write a history of words, it will be an historic event for sure.

Right. Off to cook dinner - steak and numble pudding.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri May 23, 2014 10:21 am

I use the "H" sound in all of them as well.
Never heard it silent around this neck
of the woods. I don't know of a case where
the 'h' is silent.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri May 23, 2014 1:49 pm

A mild disputation occasionally breaks out around here about humble or historical. But hamburger and hot dog always have their H's pronounced. If he means he never actually ate a hamburger, he has a real treat awaiting him.
pl

saparris
Wordmaster

Postby saparris » Fri May 23, 2014 2:41 pm

I've had my share of hamburgers and hot dogs. I was mildly disputing the use of "an historical."

I know people say it, but it goes against the a/an rule regarding articles that precede consonant/vowel sounds. And it sounds hifalutin to boot.
Ars longa, vita brevis

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat May 24, 2014 11:22 am

I think it has something to do with H being
a consonant, but what is called, "an aspirate H".
It's a consonant, but not really there. Sort
of like a zombie.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat May 24, 2014 9:34 pm

Uuriah Heep in Dickens' novel "David Copperfield" was 'umble. His entire family was 'umble. I have always pronounced and heard humble pronounced with the h.

I wrote a book titled, "My Humility And How I Achieved It, or You Too Can Be As Humble As I".

Umbles are quite another thing. If one were humble enough he might eat umbles. I’m sure Mother Heep cooked them daily for Uriah - to keep him ‘umble. Here we mean eating lungs, stomachs, etc. of animals. Some English people eat kidneys and the Scots, who in their native state ate whatever they could find, still eat the stomach of a sheep with all the other umbles stuffed in it along with, what else, oatmeal. They even write poems about it.

As for putting the article an before a word starting with an h when the h is not pronounced, that’s the way my mother taught me. “It took me an hour to read a history of the articles a and an”.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun May 25, 2014 11:54 am

I had 'agis' is Scotland, quite an experience.

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:23 pm

Uriah Heep? Was he friends with Jethro Tull and Lynyrd Skynyrd? :lol:

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:48 pm

Lynyrd Skynrd was into rock; Jethro Tull was into soil; Uriah Heep was into crawling in both. Incidentally, isn't obsequity a far better word that obsequiousness?

David

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:08 am

Funny how I've always turned up my nose at the thought of eating haggis ("lungs, stomachs, etc."), though I've been known to put away some chitlins (spelling it the way it's pronounced). Haven't had it in years, though. :?

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:33 pm

Chitlins, formally spelled Chitterlings is the most humble of umbles. It is pig guts.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:23 pm

We can probably blame this on the Greeks. As I recall, instead of an H, they place a ( over an opening vowel to aspirate it, and a ) over such a vowel to not pronounce the H sound. If you place the hook ę on the top instead of the bottom, you get the idea. The word Hellenic in Greek has no H, just the diacritical mark on top of the eta.
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”